Quite a scare!

Scottsquatch

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, I come downstairs this morning, let the dogs out, and then head to the cham cages like usual. I see what I think look like burns all along my panthers back. I felt like I was gonna throw up as I am SURE his basking spot at the top of his back only ever reaches 87 max. I was literally stunned. Then it occurred to me burns are black and not white. Upon closer inspection, i learned that he is only starting to shed and the skin along his spine is starting to loosen. Gosh, that scared the crap out of me! It's his first shed for me and he sheds differently than my graciliors. They both start on their casques and then their bodies. I was SO relieved that it was nothing serious. Whew!

So, I come downstairs this morning, let the dogs out, and then head to the cham cages like usual. I see what I think look like burns all along my panthers back. I felt like I was gonna throw up as I am SURE his basking spot at the top of his back only ever reaches 87 max. I was literally stunned. Then it occurred to me burns are black and not white. Upon closer inspection, i learned that he is only starting to shed and the skin along his spine is starting to loosen. Gosh, that scared the crap out of me! It's his first shed for me and he sheds differently than my graciliors. They both start on their casques and then their bodies. I was SO relieved that it was nothing serious. Whew!
I feel what you are saying. I thought the same!

My veiled gave me a scare yesterday. I took him out so I could rotate his plants out since they looked a bit thin. When I inspected my cham I noticed a black streak along the spines on his back that extended slightly below the spine. I first assumed it was a burn so I went to take a photo for confirmation here and sure enough when he saw my camera he got pissed and changed color to his bright "dont mess with me" colors and the black "burn" disappeared... He just finished a full body shed so this new coloration threw me off lol

Ended up checking his basking temps anyway to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom