quick question on outdoor light please

chamer

My Cham are kept on porches outside in FL. Front porch gets direct sun for am but the rear porch doesn't. I was told I may still need UVB to keep them best. My male has been out front for 2 yrs did very well the first yr but now had a few issues, but only parasides found. What do you think?

My Cham are kept on porches outside in FL. Front porch gets direct sun for am but the rear porch doesn't. I was told I may still need UVB to keep them best. My male has been out front for 2 yrs did very well the first yr but now had a few issues, but only parasides found. What do you think?

In hours, how long does your chams get sunlight?
I know that chams need roughly twelve hours of UVB everyday, not sure if sunlight would shorten that period?

Also, what cages are you using? - as glass filters out most of the UVB rays.

Hope this helps :)

No cage, just loose on the porch which is screen enclosure. Do they need the Direct sun to get the UVB or just the Light?

I would say they are getting some UVB but not enough. The ones that are getting direct sun in the morning-how many hours are we talking about? For my chams that I keep outside on the lanai in cages-they get UVB lighting all week and then on weekends I set their cages out on the pool deck for the good stuff. Do your freerange guys stay in plants or how exactly is that working?

There are 2 large ficus trees on the front porch. The girl is in a large cage on the back porch. The front tree he stays on gets about 4 hrs of direct sunlight all week. It appears the back tree has gotten large and is blocking most of the direct sun except for maybe 2 hrs or so late in the day. She is trying to lay eggs right now or I would move her outside, but at 33 days did want to wait and hope she finally lays them.

Back
Top Bottom