Quick question about uv for our friends

Mr. J hahaha

Established Member
ok so I will be getting a little friend in the near future. I will be placing him in my grow room where it stays between 75-85 degrees. Now I know they require a uvb lamp but I was wondering should I even get one sense the will be in a room that has a lot of uv lighting already? Also should I even get a heat lamp as well or should I get one as a back up? I hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.

Also so I go full size enclosure or should I stay small and upgrade as he gets older? From all the things I have read it says to go small and upgrade as he gets older but I want to hear from experienced owners.

Idk if there is that’s why I’m asking. I just don’t want to get a lamp for him and there be way to much uvb.
You need a uv light no matter what. UVB does not go through windows and the Cham won’t be getting any being produced on lights on other enclosures. Also strip uvb lights are much better imo than lamps.

Always air on the side of caution, plants will grow without UVB if they are indoor ones like a pothos but NEVER take a chance with the chameleons. Get them their own UVB just in case. As well I would maybe get a heat lamp for winter but you should be okay for the other seasons as long as you are sure it will stay that warm. Personally I started with a big tank but I had a healthy baby who could climb and roam already. If you order them at about 3-5 months i would go with maybe go with a medium to large screen cage.

Your grow lights probably emitt more UVA radiation compared to UVB. I would get the chameleon its own UVB bulb and fixture since they need an adequate source and strength of UVB rays. Natural sunlight would be the best source but since it doesn't penetrate glass (or most other transparent surfaces) and most keepers cannot keep their chams in outdoor enclosures 24/7, we need to add the UVB bulb.

Idk if there is that’s why I’m asking. I just don’t want to get a lamp for him and there be way to much uvb.

Ok so I think you have no uvb source in your range ;) you need a lamp, (depend.. if you got cristal window.. uvb cross over the cristal.. but not the glass, plastic, etc)

Ok thank you all for answering. I will get a heat lamp and a uvb lamp for my little guy. I tried to find if my lights produce uvb but I couldn’t find any info that they do so it’s better safe than sorry. Should I get the 5.0 or the 10.0 uvb bulb?

Well I was thinking of doing a 3’x3’xmaybe 6-7’ enclosure. Would this be considered a free roam enclosure?

Ok now I’m stuck on a type of screen to use for the outside of the enclosure. Could I use window screen? I know I should use a type of metal screen for the top for the lights.

Ok now I’m stuck on a type of screen to use for the outside of the enclosure. Could I use window screen? I know I should use a type of metal screen for the top for the lights.
Glass on the sides of the enclosure can stress chameleons out because they don’t understand it, at least that’s what I’ve heard. Some metal mesh for the sides is probably best.

I've kept chameleons in glass cages for over 30 years and the glass caging is ok as long as you set it up properly.
Okay, I have just heard that some chameleon’s get stressed when they can see through something but can’t go through it, I’m most likely wrong @kinyonga you’re more knowledgeable than me

Back
Top Bottom