questions from a noob

hofud

Hi all,

My name is Karoly and I am from Hungary. I have many reptiles and now i decided to get chameleons. I bought four baby (few week old) Rhampholeon brevicaudatus and they will come this monday. I read many articles about care but I have a few question.
Is it good if i keep them for a few months in a 30x30x20cm enclosure?
Because they are so small and easier can find food source even if i use a bowl where all can find food. I would use a 20-25gal cage for juveniles and adults later. What food is good? I read that the fruitfly for babies is not enough and need 1/4 cricket. Is it true? Can i feed them with small mealworms too? Do I need reptile glo 2.0? Because i also read that this can be dangerous for them. The first tank as i mentioned is 20cm high so they could get too much uv. What do you think? I would use a smaller kind of hedera helix and ferns in the cage with tons of twig and wattle. Is this ok?
I would be happy if you could share your ideas with me.

Thank you in advance

Regards
Hofud

Noone? Nobody keep this species?
One more question that i am thinking about. Is the pygmys have temperature or genetic sex determination?

Hi all,

My name is Karoly and I am from Hungary. I have many reptiles and now i decided to get chameleons. I bought four baby (few week old) Rhampholeon brevicaudatus and they will come this monday. I read many articles about care but I have a few question.
Is it good if i keep them for a few months in a 30x30x20cm enclosure?
Because they are so small and easier can find food source even if i use a bowl where all can find food. I would use a 20-25gal cage for juveniles and adults later. What food is good? I read that the fruitfly for babies is not enough and need 1/4 cricket. Is it true? Can i feed them with small mealworms too? Do I need reptile glo 2.0? Because i also read that this can be dangerous for them. The first tank as i mentioned is 20cm high so they could get too much uv. What do you think? I would use a smaller kind of hedera helix and ferns in the cage with tons of twig and wattle. Is this ok?
I would be happy if you could share your ideas with me.

Thank you in advance

Regards
Hofud

Hello. Do you know how old the baby pygmies are that you are getting? Newly hatched will eat tiny pinheads. Mealworms are not a good feeder for any chameleon. The cage you area talking about should work for babies. You can use a papertowel or coconut fiber for babies. Pygmies usually do fine free-feeding-meaning just dump the crickets into the cage. I have used 2.0 UVB and now use no direct UVB-however my pygs are on the same table with other babies under 5.0-so I suspect they get ambient UVB. I am not sure the type of plants you are using, but I generally use Pothos for Brevs, and plastic plants for hatchlings.

Thanks for reply. They are few weeks old not more than 3 i think that is why i could use this sized tank. I won't add mealworm to their diet thanks. I use coconut fiber as substrate. I have reptile glo 2.0 but i fear that i overheat their cage if i could use it (13w). Its far from the window not to heat up the cage. Are they TSD or GSD? Because i wanna at least 1-2 females from these 4.
When they become bigger i want to separete them.

Back
Top Bottom