Questions about water fountain in enclosure

AxelsMum

I have a year and half old male deremensis chameleon in a XL 24x24x48 reptibreeze. He is free range so I took the door off incase of necessary exploration. I'd like to get some sort of water fountain in his cage. I've read many reviews on fountains sold on different pet store websites (specifically for repitiles) and they all seem to be negative. I know there is fear of mold and bacteria developing, but I'd be willing to spend extra money on a better one to avoid that. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this subject? Experience?
I'd also be interested in creating my own with multiple/cleanse able filters?
Possibly using one of those cat/dog filters fountains?
My Cham seems to be uninterested in his dripper, I'd like to create something interesting for him that provides anothr water source other than misting and dripping.
Thanks
Amber

Hi AxelsMum,welcome to this wonderful forum,have you try to use an auto mister like mistking for your deremensis chameleon .

Unfortunately, no matter what fountain you buy, it will always be prone to bacteria buildup. The only way to combat bacteria is routine cleaning(in this case everyday) or a UV sterilizer. If I may ask, are you wanting the water fountain for an aesthetic purpose or functional?

Hi AxelsMum,welcome to this wonderful forum,have you try to use an auto mister like mistking for your deremensis chameleon .
I have not used an auto mister before, are there any specific ones you recommend? I usually just mist him myself several times a day, making sure everything drys in between. I work from home so I don't mind the frequent mists.

Unfortunately, no matter what fountain you buy, it will always be prone to bacteria buildup. The only way to combat bacteria is routine cleaning(in this case everyday) or a UV sterilizer. If I may ask, are you wanting the water fountain for an aesthetic purpose or functional?
Frequent cleaning wouldn't be a problem, but everyday might be a little much. I'd be using it for functional purposes (mostly) but I do design and DIY a lot so aesthetically pleasing is a possibility. Functional first though.

AxelsMum said:
Frequent cleaning wouldn't be a problem, but everyday might be a little much. I'd be using it for functional purposes (mostly) but I do design and DIY a lot so aesthetically pleasing is a possibility. Functional first though.

I understand. Being that T. deremensis are montane and require high humidity levels, how about a fogger of some kind. That can be very aesthetically pleasing and also functional for you cham. I would also get a mistking or similar style automated misting system to help with hydration and humidity.

I have not used an auto mister before, are there any specific ones you recommend? I usually just mist him myself several times a day, making sure everything drys in between. I work from home so I don't mind the frequent mists.
I use to carry water mi
300x300.jpg
ster bottles too,but end up missing some misting time while i was taking care my other pets,the auto mister will help me thru those forgetful time,when you get a chance,please look into "Mistking starter misting system" this might supplement to help your daily routine like grocery shopping or shoe shopping for a lady like you....cause I try to do the bottle and bucket once...it didnt really work out for me at all,it made me carry it so often that i forgot to eat my food sometime...this is just my personal experience,the choice is clearly yours to decide,thank you for letting me to reply your question,hope is all well. P.S that was me in the cat pics

I understand. Being that T. deremensis are montane and require high humidity levels, how about a fogger of some kind. That can be very aesthetically pleasing and also functional for you cham. I would also get a mistking or similar style automated misting system to help with hydration and humidity.

For a deremensis the fogger/mister ideas will probably work much better, and they will also help create a more aesthetically pleasing habitat for this secretive dense understory forest creature. If you hoped that the waterfall would provide the higher humidity I think you would be disappointed. Unless the fountain manages to splash all the foliage around it, on its own it won't raise the cage humidity all that much. And, BTW, the nice sound of the fountain will be lost on your cham too.

For a deremensis the fogger/mister ideas will probably work much better, and they will also help create a more aesthetically pleasing habitat for this secretive dense understory forest creature. If you hoped that the waterfall would provide the higher humidity I think you would be disappointed. Unless the fountain manages to splash all the foliage around it, on its own it won't raise the cage humidity all that much. And, BTW, the nice sound of the fountain will be lost on your cham too.
Hi Carlton,its so nice to see you here again...I am 100 percent believe in Carlton opinion,no debate at all....I been belived in Carlton since I was just a new member with no handbook or any person who will show me thru the difficult "baby on board" time,this is the Mentor I will respect from,not others who try to working overtimes with piggy bank changes and try being superior to others with no real life experience to deal with....sorry Carlton,my apologies for venting on ur thread cause I got too much energy to explode right now....You rock the Wise one.Happy new year!!!

Hey alphakenc, hope all is well.What are you doing over here ?
Hi Pygmy Chameleon,nothing much,can you please do me a big favor....if u "look up",that is Carlton ,very nice person to follow the advice from.Can you kindly to give a thumbs up on Carlton thread and say hello ,thank you for your cooperation.

Hi Carlton. I've heard alot of good things about you.Im just showing you my respect,its so nice to meet you here. :)
Hi pygmy chameleon,thank you for doing that,if you ever have any questions to ask,im sure Carlton will give u the best advice u ever will get....Im going to the lizard lounge,would you like to come with me?

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the kudos folks, but remember the forum has many other great members who know as much and more than I do! When searching for advice I find its best to read more than one person's viewpoint. The best advice will be repeated or agreed with by other good folks. Then there's the really unique outlier ideas that really make you wonder!

U are absolutely correct,learn and share and find the best answer suitable for your personal needs...not everyone will agree with you,but you will be the only one to except the best advice,the choice is in our hands,thank you for replying me back,you the best...I got love for you for what you been doing in this forum,enjoy your lovely day.

We rescued a pair of veileds that were given water by a fountain. The pet store assured us that it was the best way to give chameleons water.
It was constant work, crickets crawled into the water. If the fountain was left for 2 or 3 days the water would start to smell, and they won't help to increase humidity. Ended up putting the fountain in the Salvation Army box. I would follow the advice from the forum members that have already spoken.

I do have a fogger already, and I mist short periods of time myself multiple times a day. I was hoping to use a waterfall to provide drinking water, but I am scared of bacteria developing. Most of all I am looking for an appealing way to provide drinking water throughout the day. Hes not fond of his dripper, so I find myself giving him water for long periods of time everyday.

I use to carry water miView attachment 148122 ster bottles too,but end up missing some misting time while i was taking care my other pets,the auto mister will help me thru those forgetful time,when you get a chance,please look into "Mistking starter misting system" this might supplement to help your daily routine like grocery shopping or shoe shopping for a lady like you....cause I try to do the bottle and bucket once...it didnt really work out for me at all,it made me carry it so often that i forgot to eat my food sometime...this is just my personal experience,the choice is clearly yours to decide,thank you for letting me to reply your question,hope is all well. P.S that was me in the cat pics

Cute photo! I am looking into purchasing an auto mister for my little dude this week. Thanks for the reply! I do love misting myself because I get to spend time with him. He's currently my only pet so I find myself putting in a lot of time and love into his care routines. He's become a total muma's boy, always begging to get into my hands and adventure out of his habitat. I spoil him beyond belief :). Any other advice on appealing items for his habitat or around the house? I love creating new stations around my house for him to adventure through.

Cute photo! I am looking into purchasing an auto mister for my little dude this week. Thanks for the reply! I do love misting myself because I get to spend time with him. He's currently my only pet so I find myself putting in a lot of time and love into his care routines. He's become a total muma's boy, always begging to get into my hands and adventure out of his habitat. I spoil him beyond belief :). Any other advice on appealing items for his habitat or around the house? I love creating new stations around my house for him to adventure through.
Im glad u love the pic....and you did make your wise decision going to purchase an auto mister for your baby boy.
The only suggestion that I can think of right now,is when you get a chance,please add a bookmark page with this forum,so if you have more question,you can always do your research on this wonderful site.
P.S that was my selfie(not the old guy but the cute little birdy)listening and observing in the class.Wishing you a best 2016,bye now,AxelsMum:)
full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom