Questions about egg-bound females.

chamlover

Considering everything i just went through with my panther being egg-bound for almost 3 weeks, i am a little concerned about the next time. I believe she was almost ready to lay an unfertile clutch when we mated her because she started laying eggs after only about 17 days or so which is too early i think for it to be from the mating. My question is do you think she could now have a clutch from the mating? If she does or doesn't, what do you think the chances are that she will be egg-bound again? Has anyone had a female survive and then go on to have a healthy normal clutch? Should i have her get a hysterectomy? Just kidding. I think what might have started the whole ordeal was not having a bucket in her enclosure because i was thinking it wasn't time for her to lay eggs yet. So i don't know if that is what caused her being egg-bound or not. If that is, don't you think it will be a normal delivery next time? I don't ever want to go through that again and she agrees. Does anyone really know what the most common cause for being eggbound is?
Thanks,
Debby

Your cham can go on to produce a viable clutch on retained sperm. If your Females issues were caused by external circumstances and not due to poor nutrition, broken egg or other internal cause, then she may go on to lay normal clutches of eggs.

In my experience when a veiled or panther chameleon is mated when she is already working on eggs either they will have a clutch sooner than expected or they will have a clutch that contains some fertile eggs and some infertile ones depending on the point in the cycle that the chameleon is at when mated....no proof....just what I feel can happen.

Back
Top Bottom