Question

Cpboy24

I am getting a chameleon soon, and I was wondering, how often to prolapsed happen? Because I wanna know before I get one and what to do if it happpens

occurences

I don't think there is a certain statistic to say. it will depend on what your cham ingests. Soil, bark, rocks, high chitin foods, etc.. Straining to defacate. Straining to give birth, will all play a role as to if you experience one. Out of 15 chams, i have only had one. That happenend the day after i brought a rescue home. So it is quite possible you may never have one. If you do, a sugar water bath and some KY jelly might just do the trick. My chams went right away with one use of the KY jelly. He had eaten some dirt from his previous cage.
If you keep a plain cage floor and monitor their food, you probably won't have to deal with it. However, more serious ones can require a trip to the vet.

rare. will not happen to most chameleons, especially if they are properly cared for.

If happens, go immediately to a vet. Kept the area moist with plain KY jelly or sterile sucrose.

Prolapses are actually not all that common. They are not something you should worry about if your chameleon is healthy

Thank you all, it's just I'm nervous and also soooo excited about getting one, it's just I want to make sure that mine has a good home, and what exactly is ky jelly?

Thank you all, it's just I'm nervous and also soooo excited about getting one, it's just I want to make sure that mine has a good home, and what exactly is ky jelly?

its a "personal lubricant"
used for things like helping ease the passage of rectal thermometers, or for providing moisture to mucus membranes. in stores, You often find it near the condoms or in the baby care isle.

Back
Top Bottom