Question -- Water used in Habitat? Do not have access to RO water here.

CC's Baby

Avid Member
So I am finding out that I cannot find RO water anywhere where I live. However, Petco sells a Coralife RO Filter. Petsmart sells dechorlinated water. Anyway, with all that said, what are my options .
Is distilled water NOT good for my cham? I am reading that in places as well, OR, can I simply get some kind of filter to attach to my kitchen faucet that can provide the same results when I go to fill
up my humidifier and mist king and my little dripper. What about Reptisafe?

You don’t want to use distilled, chams need the minerals that are naturally in the water. You should be able to find purified water at Walmart or another grocery store but if not you can use “Reptisafe” by zoomed. It will take out all of the chlorine and other harmful chemicals.

You don’t want to use distilled, chams need the minerals that are naturally in the water. You should be able to find purified water at Walmart or another grocery store but if not you can use “Reptisafe” by zoomed. It will take out all of the chlorine and other harmful chemicals.
Do you know if using regular water with reptisafe will damage a mistking system? I read that the build up from regular water can damage the misting heads.

Do you know if using regular water with reptisafe will damage a mistking system? I read that the build up from regular water can damage the misting heads.
Yes, that is what I am afraid of. I know we have HARD tap water and that it will indeed hurt my misting system. So I will have to do something but not sure what my best option will be. They say use distilled but , not sure if that is good for the cham. That is my concern for hurting my baby.

In my opinion using Distilled water is perfectly safe. We are supplementing with calcium and vitamins anyway, and in nature most get hydration from rain (basically distilled), humid air at night (no minerals) or their prey.

As mentioned, grocery stores will often have RO dispensers. You could also invest in a small home RO filter.

I simply use distilled gallons due to only having the one enclosure and just running the mistking and fogger.

In my opinion using Distilled water is perfectly safe. We are supplementing with calcium and vitamins anyway, and in nature most get hydration from rain (basically distilled), humid air at night (no minerals) or their prey.

As mentioned, grocery stores will often have RO dispensers. You could also invest in a small home RO filter.

I simply use distilled gallons due to only having the one enclosure and just running the mistking and fogger.
Thank you. That is very helpful. I know I don't want to use my tap water in the mist king and humidifiers. I see what our water does to the rest of the house, so I think I will stick with Distilled and/or a filter.

The water where I live isn't too hard, but I have been using tap water with reptisafe for the past 6 months. My misting still runs fantastic, no signs of damage.

The water where I live isn't too hard, but I have been using tap water with reptisafe for the past 6 months. My misting still runs fantastic, no signs of damage.
I guess I need to see the costs differences. But I am afraid even with Reptisafe, our water is just too hard.

I bought 2 6-gallon carboys and re-fill them at my local grocery store. They last a long time, and I have a well, so using that water clogs the heads on my misters. By filling the carboys I'm not wasting the plastic gallon jugs, and I think it's .35/gallon to fill them. I've been using this method for about 2 years now and it really works well for me.

I have been using distilled water for as long as I have had Stark (3 years). I have never had any problem with it.

I’ve only ever used distilled, and I’ve never had an issue with misters clogging. Chameleons drink water dripping off the leaves. The second distilled water touches any leaf, it’s no longer distilled and has absorbed any mineral material on the leaf. Your enclosure is covered with trace amounts of CA powder and mineral powder from feeding. Also dust or disturbed substrate leave beneficial mineral/vitamins all over the enclosure. Yet another benefit of bioactivity at work.

I have a two part filter I'm not sure exactly what it is but my dad tested the water after it's gone through it and it takes so much of the bad stuff out. We have high levels of flouride and chlorine here and it's pretty much gone after.

I have a two part filter I'm not sure exactly what it is but my dad tested the water after it's gone through it and it takes so much of the bad stuff out. We have high levels of flouride and chlorine here and it's pretty much gone after.
Thats good. Yes, I do too. It creates that very hard lime calcium build up on our faucet fixtures. If you every figure out what it is let me know. In the meantime, I am going to use distilled until I come up with another solution if necessary.

Okay -- Well that is certainly an affordable option alternative. thanks for posting that. So now, I think, my question is this : I know the systems are great for the Mist King and Humidifiers keeping them more sanitary and from clogging heads much less, etc... and not ruining this equipment. But for the sake of the Chameleons, if you give them the nutrients needed in gutloading anyway, does it matter whether RO or Distilled is used? OR, is the RO water still providing more nutrients to the Cham's for their skin, etc..... that they still are not receiving through the feeders? That is my question now. So that I can look at hassle versus cost versus benefit to my baby boy :) So these the things I want to know for "facts" that I need clarity on.

I agree with Decadancin on this rain water and dew are very close to distilled water and we feed in any minerals lost but if your research turns anything up please share it.

I agree with Decadancin on this rain water and dew are very close to distilled water and we feed in any minerals lost but if your research turns anything up please share it.
I will do. It was Decadancin's post that started me thinking about that really and it makes a lot of sense to me but I am curious about the facts of that in itself. I may pose that question to Bill at dragonstrands and see what he has to say about it.

Back
Top Bottom