Has anyone here had any experience with a machine that distills water? They sell them on amazon

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
i checked out the RO system you suggested @MissSkittles but for every gallon of RO water it makes 4 gallons of waste water go down the drain. I don’t pay for my water bill, the apartment owner does and I don’t think they would allow that. The only other thing I can find is a water distiller and they sell many different kinds on Amazon and I’ve been checking them out. I want to look up some information on them and I wondered if anyone here uses one?

If you mean one like this, I had one many years ago. They work fine, but they are slow. The one in the link says it makes 1 gallon in 8 hours - it's not terrible, but depends on all where you want to use the water. If it's just for filling up your fogger and mist bucket, probably will work OK. One thing to keep in mind is the electricity used. This one says to be a 750W appliance - if it runs for 8 hours to make a gallon, then you will use 6 kWh. Depending on where you live, power is 10-22 cents per kWh. In the northeast where I'm at, it's closer to 22 so that gallon will cost $1.32. I could probably just buy it at the store for that.

Not that it helps a ton (again, depends on how much water you will make), but you can recycle some of the waste stream from the RO unit to do other things - water plants, etc.

I'm following this post . I've been looking at RO systems also for my baby Parsons (little fella loves water) 😂. For now just been buying distilled gallons for 1$ at Dollar store 😏

6cent kw hour master race reporting in. And id still buy it at the store. Even in expensive Cali, people hand wash cars with distilled because its spot free finish, because they can get 275 gallon tote filled CHEAP.

One thing to keep in mind is the electricity used. This one says to be a 750W appliance - if it runs for 8 hours to make a gallon, then you will use 6 kWh. Depending on where you live, power is 10-22 cents per kWh. In the northeast where I'm at, it's closer to 22 so that gallon will cost $1.32. I could probably just buy it at the store for that.
That's pretty much where we came out. For us, it's not so much the cost as schlepping all those gallon jugs every week or two. Even with some kind of home unit (RO or Distiller) we'd still be schlepping jugs from the kitchen to the reptile enclosures. :(

lol This is a great topic.. I was tricked many years ago (over 30) for an "in home water distiller" paid 100 bucks (lots back then but the kids were babies and needed healthy water hahaha) for a product that sits in your sink. Idea was to hook up to sink and turn on. Easy, right? Well after (like above experience) 1/2 gallon of distilled water took 6 hours to produce and wasted 6 hours of water down the drain too. Lucky for me the product was cheap, and the plastic filter broke after a few weeks.

Since then I have boiled, filtered, and chemically made distilled water. Now I just purchase it in gallons already made for 67cents to a dollar a gallon.
Plus, I never ever tested the water that was made, how do I know I distilled it? With aquariums many have RO unit or purchase RO water which, is purchased most of the time from aquarium/pet shop. Even they get it from from a second source and delivered to them in thousand gallon trucks. Just adding a little extra info. Exception to that is many try to save money and have built systems to save on all the middle person stuff. Guess, I am lazy and found an easy way to purchase a few gallons a week.(y)
maybe some one knows--- Do they sell a distilled water test kit? I am aware of ammonia, nitrogen, nitrate, ph and a few others but not distilled.

Thanks!

Thank you!!

That's pretty much where we came out. For us, it's not so much the cost as schlepping all those gallon jugs every week or two. Even with some kind of home unit (RO or Distiller) we'd still be schlepping jugs from the kitchen to the reptile enclosures. :(
Ehh, I hadn’t even considered that.. when you look at it that way, yeah. You really are better off just buying jugs from the store.

lol This is a great topic.. I was tricked many years ago (over 30) for an "in home water distiller" paid 100 bucks (lots back then but the kids were babies and needed healthy water hahaha) for a product that sits in your sink. Idea was to hook up to sink and turn on. Easy, right? Well after (like above experience) 1/2 gallon of distilled water took 6 hours to produce and wasted 6 hours of water down the drain too. Lucky for me the product was cheap, and the plastic filter broke after a few weeks.

Since then I have boiled, filtered, and chemically made distilled water. Now I just purchase it in gallons already made for 67cents to a dollar a gallon.
Plus, I never ever tested the water that was made, how do I know I distilled it? With aquariums many have RO unit or purchase RO water which, is purchased most of the time from aquarium/pet shop. Even they get it from from a second source and delivered to them in thousand gallon trucks. Just adding a little extra info. Exception to that is many try to save money and have built systems to save on all the middle person stuff. Guess, I am lazy and found an easy way to purchase a few gallons a week.(y)
maybe some one knows--- Do they sell a distilled water test kit? I am aware of ammonia, nitrogen, nitrate, ph and a few others but not distilled.

Thanks!
Yes it is a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter. Cheap yet priceless.

Think this can answer a lot regarding RODI in fairly simple terms.
New to here but something I'm familiar with as I'm in the saltwater tank hobbies as well.

Here's the War and Peace expurgated version of water filtration...

What is RO, Di, RODI...

RO is reverse osmosis, its a way to purify water. It works with a series of filters (from 3 to up to 8 (or more if you're nuts)).
Three or four stage is enough for most applications.

In a three stage RO system...
Filter one is a sediment filter and it removed particles larger than 3-5microns.
Filter two is a carbon filter and helps remove chlorine and organics.
Filter three removes any other contaminants that have gotten through the first two filters.

DI is deionizing. If added this option you now have a 4 stage system.
The DI is a resin material that removes any final small particles that get through the first three stages.

So, a 4 stage system, or RODI system will purify water so well that it has zero mineral content, but also zero contaminants and particles.

What is TDS...

TDS is a unit of measurement. It has nothing to do with an RO or RODI system, its just the tool that measures if they're working.
It's usually measure via a simple handheld meter for under $20, though you can go crazy (as in aquarium hobbies) and get super accurate meters in excess of $100.

TDS is Total Dissolved Solids. Its the measurement of all particles in water that arent water.
Its not specific to anything, just reads 'not water' (dirt, chemicals, bacteria, etc...) and projects it as a simple number in ppt (parts per thousand).
It varies from regional water supplies depending on how well your town or county conditions their water..
For example, in my area, my TDS out of the tap is about 42, which is moderately high.
If I run it through 3 stages of my RO system it ends up at 3 or 4.
If I add the DI and run it through all 4 stages of my system, I go down to 0.

Regarding time and wasted water...

Firstly, people don't realize water is cheaper than expected. I filled a 3,000 gallon pool last year and inquiring for a credit for the pool fill, which my town offers, I was told that it cost about $16 to fill the pool, and 3,000 gallons, even with waste, is a lot of aquarium/mister/fogger fills.

These waste water of the units is regulated by the third filter of the RO system, which does a final filter scrub of contaminants that have gotten by the first 2 filters.
These filters are often listed with a number, for example 1.5/1m which indicates for every 1 gallon of RO or RODI water produced, 1.5g goes down the drain.

The process is also very time consuming, as it takes hours to fill a 5g bucket, as a large pressure buildup of water is required to push the water through the filters.
Pressure in excess of 65psi is often required, and taps usually spit out 15-20psi.

But, there is a solution...
Buying a RODI booster unit does the pressure increase for you before the water hits the filters.
As a result waste water is dramatically decreased to a minor level, and a 5g buck can fill within the hour.

RODI use in drinking and hobbies...

In the aquarium hobby, getting your water to 0 is optimal, as you're sure theres no contaminants for your fish and corals.
You then add sea salt and minerals to bring the water back up in TDS, but knowing it is now safe.

In home RODI systems, its oftem advised you add a special filter to the end of the system that replaces essential minerals for human consumption.
You can drink the RODI water straight, but it offers no mineralization and tastes a bit flat.

I have 2 RODI systems in my house...

Post years of various systems, I settled on an RO Buddy with optional DI filter for my 40g aquarium. These can be found for $60-80 and are excellent systems if using a few gallons a day. When I ran larger aquariums of 100g+ I had much larger RODI systems, but the RO Buddy system, though smaller, works as good or better than the larger systems and is much easier to use and change filters on.

I also have an undersink system for our home water. Again, it is an RODI system but I've connected the optional mineralization filters to it to optimize it for drinking. It is a more traditional, and much larger system (its using a LOT more water), that the RO Buddy, and it is harder to change filters, but it works very well.

Use for chameleon...

I'm using the undersink system to fill my mister and fogger as it has the added minerals and is optimal for plants.
The RO Buddy strips the water clear for the aquariast, who then adds back specific minerals for their tank type.
If you don't have an under-sink system and don't want to set one up, I'd advise using a Buddy System, possibly with a mineralization cartridge attached if used for drinking water and plant moisture.

Buying and maintaining an RO or RODI...

All the big units use standard cartridges, so avoid the big priced big name systems.
A well reviewed unit on Amazon is fine, its the cartridges that make the difference, but even so, you can use the cartridges the unit comes with and swap them out in a few months, they're still a ton better than tap water.

Cartridge (filter) replacement is usually measured in gallons, but to be safe I swap all mine out at 6 months.
For the RO in the Buddy Unit it costs about $30-40, for the undersink home unit its around $80 (with mineral cartridge)
The DI portion of the filter is a resin. In either typew of unit you can choose to buy the filter prefilled, which can run $20-30, or you can just buy resin (4-6 refills for $20-30) and open the cartridge and refill yourself.
Big expense on any of these units is the primary membrane (first stage). It does the bulk of the work and can run $60, but, it only needs replacing yearly or when the TDS starts to climb (meaning its reached its saturation level).

The best way to store water is to run the RODI into a large garbage can with a float valve stop on it,
Can is full, RODI stops.
The float valve is arguably the best piece of equipment I ever bought as I would oft forget I was running the system and remember once there were a few gallons of water on the floor.
Youcan also attach it to the sides of a smaller 2 or 5g bucket quite easily.

Closing...

The advantages of owning an RO or RODI is clean water on demand, and lots of it depending on how you store it.
Saves some cash and multiple runs to the store or hobby shop, you get gallons for pennies and it's right in the garage (or wherever).

Hope this de-mystifies some of this RODI stuff for you. Adding some links below to the stuff I'm talking about.
Been playing with many varied RODI systems for years.
Drop me a line if there's anything I can help with.

Aquaticlife RO Buddy with DI filter...
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Aquaticlife twist in RODI system for super easy, though slightly more expensive maintenance...
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Twis...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Aquaticlife booster to increase output and reduce waste on ANY RODI system (very, very worth the cost)...
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life...==&sprefix=aquatic+life+booster,aps,59&sr=8-1

Express Water Home Undersink system with storage and tap...
https://www.amazon.com/Express-Wate...33356&sprefix=home+rodi+system,aps,59&sr=8-10

Higher end aquarium RODI system (all their systems are the same, its the filters that determine water flow through)...
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/75gpd-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

Two options on re-mineralization cartridges (will work in-line with any RODI, just attach at the end before faucet or storage container)...
https://www.amazon.com/Aquasana-Rep...&sprefix=express+water+mineral,aps,44&sr=8-25
https://www.amazon.com/Waterdrop-Re...&sprefix=express+water+mineral,aps,44&sr=8-14

Example of a float valve (installed at container and placed on rim)...
https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Osmosis-System-Connect-Fittings(ball/dp/B076HJZQMY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2ER1XNEGU4JN3&keywords=float+valve&qid=1642634356&sprefix=float+valve%2Caps%2C72&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQUxGWktXMjdLVDNJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTI4NzE1MkFRVTlVQkRLS1hJNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzUwNjk4MkVLTExWWkdZQU1aUCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Back
Top Bottom