Question thread!

Where'd you get a reader?
I have a Solarmeter 6.5 Got it same time as the 774 temp gun.
Probably borderline worthwhile with just one lizard, but I knew there were at least 2 in the future (with different strength bulbs) so it made sense. If I can get a few extra months out of a UVB bulb, the meter will pay for itself in a few years.

I don't have a reflector. I got one of the bad ones before they told people about the risks of flipping them. It shattered. :(
But I still got the reading of 25. IDK how anyone could get higher than 50—even with a reflector, especially with a 5.0 chameleon bulb.
IMG_20200731_160318.jpg

Six month old 6%. single reflector with a 6500k in the other slot.

Mine's 3.5-4 inches over the screen and gives a UVI of about 3.6 to 4 at the branch 5 or so inches into the enclosure

Like said you only have to elevate if the cham can get within 4-5" of the bulb. With Docs setup, the highest branch is 3.6-4 UVI if its elevated off the cage 4" above the screen.

I personally dont tune that high, but i also supplement with D3. If you supplement, you should not be tuning for higher than 2.0( i shoot for 1.5 at the cham hangout zone, and no higher than 3.0uvi at the tippy top branch that they occasionally hang out at). If you are Docz and supplement with D3 every 2 weeks, you may develop edema from too much D3.

Like said you only have to elevate if the cham can get within 4-5" of the bulb. With Docs setup, the highest branch is 3.6-4 UVI if its elevated off the cage 4" above the screen.

I personally dont tune that high, but i also supplement with D3. If you supplement, you should not be tuning for higher than 2.0( i shoot for 1.5 at the cham hangout zone, and no higher than 3.0uvi at the tippy top branch that they occasionally hang out at). If you are Docz and supplement with D3 every 2 weeks, you may develop edema from too much D3.
Agreed. I think in some ways you get to rely on the Cham to regulate their exposure as long as you don’t have super high levels accessible.

Dr Ferguson established zones and gave guidance to the level of UVI typically found in those zones. He also showed that Panthers will adjust their exposure to UVB by moving about the cage, and regulate their D3 levels to some extent based on these movements. The branches below the basking area are in the 0 to 2.5 range which is where Calcifer ends up after his morning sunbathing

They mean things like "Yellow body blue bar"
Ambilobe come in a lot of different colors but the more I look the more noticeable the differences in locales are.
Im shooting for ambanja because im a sucker for pastels. If you like bright I'd go for Ambilobe, if you like BLUE or cotton candy I'd go for nosy be or nosy faly
And if you like tacos go for sambava
Here's my latest YBBB illustration. Im trying to draw the most obvious colored Ambilobe
View attachment 273510
pretty!

Back
Top Bottom