Question regarding color

Debbienflorida

I have a Veiled Chameleon. I got him at the Reptile Breeder Expo in Daytona. He/she is approximately 3-4 months old. The live plants in his screen encloseure are green of course and the fake vines are green. I have no brown vines yet. I mist 3-4 times a day and I have been feeding 1/2" dusted crickets ( 5-6) twice a day(it takes about 10 mns for him to eat them) and 1 superworm every other day. He has a 75w basking light and a Reptisun 5.0 strip light. My question is regarding color. He is brown most of the time. In the early evening he heads down under some leaves of the schefflera and I turn off his basking light and then before bed I turn off the UV strip. When he cools down he gets greener. Is this normal or do I need to change any husbandry? Also, if I am ordering worms should I get silkworms or Phoenix and what size? How many would he eat in their lifespan or before they get to big?

Many veileds go through a brown phase. Some of them don't come out of it from what I've seen. My veiled was brown for many months before he started coloring up green at around a year old. Be patient, but also look up his sire info if you've got it.

Search 'Otto' in the forums and you can see the many color stages my veiled went through.

Back
Top Bottom