Question on appearance of receptive/gravid chameleons

Ghostbirb

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey so I know all the color related stuff that female chameleons go through but I was wondering, what are some other physical signs that your chameleons is producing eggs?

When first gravid…increased weight and girth, possibly more basking,
increased appetite, sometimes drink more, etc.

Near the lay time…reduced appetite, roaming the cage to find a laying site, etc..

When heading for problems because she should have laid…sitting low in the cage, lethargic, eyes shut during the day, no longer digging, etc.

I likely missed some….also…some of this is not appearance…obviously!

When first gravid…increased weight and girth, possibly more basking,
increased appetite, sometimes drink more, etc.

Near the lay time…reduced appetite, roaming the cage to find a laying site, etc..

When heading for problems because she should have laid…sitting low in the cage, lethargic, eyes shut during the day, no longer digging, etc.

I likely missed some….also…some of this is not appearance…obviously!
This information is insightful! 😊

So, what exactly is Gular edema?
IMG_9565.png

I completely missed the notification for this. Hmm interesting, I feel like Nachito might have a little going on, we will see what happens 🤷‍♀️
I think it’s like with humans, some hold fluids at joints or other spots while pregnant. Probably some chameleons, like mine, hold it in their throat area.

@Sonny13
Speaking of gular edema

Does this look similar to your girl throat wise? I think you mentioned that she got gular edema or atleast swelling when she was receptive/gravid.
IMG_1977.jpeg

IMG_1974.jpeg

IMG_1975.jpeg

IMG_1977.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1976.jpeg
    IMG_1976.jpeg
    513.1 KB · Views: 13
This is exactly what my girl gets 1-2 weeks prior to the laying. As extra respond on your other thread, I would also coverup the lower 1/3 of the enclosure with a towel or cloth or something. To give her some extra privacy

This is exactly what my girl gets 1-2 weeks prior to the laying. As extra respond on your other thread, I would also coverup the lower 1/3 of the enclosure with a towel or cloth or something. To give her some extra privacy
Will do! Thanks for the reply!

In that second pic she has that typical gravid belly, where you see those folds of skin/ fat. She probably won’t get bigger and she looks like not carrying too much eggs.

Back
Top Bottom