Question for people who build stuff

I need a bigger incubator. I have these styrofoam ones. Could I take the heating elements off of these smaller ones and mount them into the inside lid of a big cooler? It seems like it would be the same basic idea. Just drill a hole in the top to run the cord through and one for the thermostat knob? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372521062.585073.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372521076.697223.jpg

I need a bigger incubator. I have these styrofoam ones. Could I take the heating elements off of these smaller ones and mount them into the inside lid of a big cooler? It seems like it would be the same basic idea. Just drill a hole in the top to run the cord through and one for the thermostat knob?View attachment 81575View attachment 81576

It depends on your skill and level of risk. If you do it wrong it could be a shock or fire hazard.

Also, it might not be effective depending on the internal volume of the new one because the wattage is sized for the smaller volume.

I've been building my own incubators for many years and recommend a reliable digitally proportional thermostat with night drop function. Mechanical thermostats stick and can result in total loss of eggs.

If you are going though the trouble, you can find a used refrigerator and retrofit it. I built (possibly invented) one of the first refrigu-bators about thirty years ago and published instructions on how to do it. Sorry, I don't still have those instructions, but it is really pretty simple stuff.

Back
Top Bottom