Question for Black cages

DNA

A friend's of mine have told to me that I can not use black as colour of cages because of chameleons are scared of black. Who could tell me is it true? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
yes , mine is black too. but he have said that chameleon is a prey at night, so it hate black.

well im not sure exactly what you are talking about but i wouldn't let it bother you anymore. i think your going to be hard pressed to find another who thinks black is bad

Your friend is confused...to say it politely. As I have been told and read about....some species of chameleons darken when territory is threatened by another male or other species viewed as a threat.

The notion that chameleons "don't like black" is silly...when you are talking about stationary or other objects with no threat value.

That does sound kind of silly. Does this friend own chameleons?

Of course, He have had nineteen chameleons, he is Frenchman who live in Beijing. The method probably is different between Europe and American.

BTW, I am sorry for my poor English.

Your English is much better than our Chinese is I'm sure.

My understanding is that reflections are what causes stress for chameleons. I don't think you need to worry about black.

Did your friend ever explain his concerns to you?

Kevin

Hello all,

I am the "silly friend who thinks black is bad for chameleons",
so here it is... Many germans and italians have made studies on chameleon behavior and it shows that chameleons are stressed by dark colors as it gives them a poor vision. Petr necas mentions it in his most famous book. Flexariums were used a lot in the past, however more recently everybody is europe and many in the USA (e.g. Chris Anderson) have started to use enclosures made of PVC boards and/or wood for it sides as it makes the enclosures much brigher and the chameleon more secure in his envirnment as a result.

I personally saw big changes in my chameleon behaviors when it came to the change of lighting and caging. All my chameleons received lighing from metal halid lamps, i saw considerable changes in the behaviour of the animals.

I am not looking for any conflicts here, and am aware that different countries raise chameleons differently with good results. However i read some answers not really appropriate on this post.
I'll attach pictures of my terrariums so you could have an idea.

Here are my rudis hatching and their setup: http://www.tanalahy.com/forum/les-petits-rudis-sont-arrives-vt7479.html

and here a few other setups for pardalis:
http://www.tanalahy.com/forum/quelq...esign-pas-commun-vt7206.html?highlight=design
(black is on the outside only, natural wood is used for the inside)

Outdoor large inclosures: http://www.tanalahy.com/forum/deux-...-exterieur-vt6078.html?highlight=dext%E9rieur

I wish you all a Merry Chrismas and happy new year,
Adrien.

Adrien,

I think your enclosures are brilliant.
I understand The benefit of creating an environment with more reflected light...Will Hayward's enclosures are very similar.
I also do not personally like the reptarium because of how dark it is.
I will say though, that using an aluminum screen habitat that is black is okay.
I use the aluminum screen in silver because I think the visibility is better...but I think you would have the same results with the black.

-Brad

I have seen brighter colours being shown when a chameleon resides in a white cage, rather than the extremely dark Reptariums/Flexariums. However a full Screen aluminum cage, with black framing should be no issue for anyone. I use many of those as well, and with a low watt incandescent alone they are fine, and with an accompanying florescent, they are prefect.

Lighting types have also had a great deal on influencing the chameleons colours.

For Reference:

dsc2305xpx6.jpg
dsc2115qy9.jpg

asdasxw7.jpg

Nice Photos All :)

There is no question that most chameleons would prefer to live in those big outdoor cages if local weather made that possible. That is a "no brainer". They are beautiful. That curved indoor cage system is beautiful too. I use the black screen aluminum cages for all my chams with lots of success. I do make a big effort to make sure the cages are brightly lit. I use two Reptisun tube lights over each cage and if they are still not brightly lit enough (in a room corner for example) I add a regular house light bulb of a variety that emits low heat. Most of my cages are next to windows so they get additional light from that situation. Thanks for the photos everyone. It is a topic that does merit discussion. It is good to share what we are all doing!

I have also never heard of black being an issue but haven't done much research on the subject. Most of my cham enclosures are black.

Hey Daen ... I like your enclosures. There is an element of brightness added when using the lighter colours and I'm sure it makes the chams much more visible. My only question is that when using the larger screening that I see on most of your enclosures how do you keep live food in the cage without having it escape?

Dyesub Dave. :D

OH ... Thanks Will.

But would that work for crickets? I guess if the cups were deep enough it would be fine. I wouldn't want to take the chance and have crickets all throughout the house. Well ... not any more than the few stragglers there are now!! LOL

Dyesub Dave. :D

Back
Top Bottom