Question?? - Breeding Panthers -

kgallego

Hello all,

I am currently breeding my pair of panthers. The male and female are both 1 year old. I removed the visual divider two weeks ago and just yesterday I put the male into the female's cage. The female is relaxed and receptive, showing very mild colors and no acts of aggression towards the male. The male has been bobbing his head like he's supposed to, but hasn't climbed on to "Do the Deed" yet. All day today he has shown very little interest in her.

Is it odd that they haven't done it after 1.5 days? How long should I leave them together before pulling them out?

I'm monitoring them with a camera 24/7 to keep track of all their activity.

Here's a pic just for fun!

Thanks!

Kelsey

Do you mean to say that they have been able to see each other for the last 2 weeks before you put them together? That was not a good idea if that's what happened. The male can lose interest after that long if he cannot get to the female. I would keeping them separated for a few more days with a visual barrier and try again. The male should only see the female when he can actually get to her. Jmo.

Do you mean to say that they have been able to see each other for the last 2 weeks before you put them together? That was not a good idea if that's what happened. The male can lose interest after that long if he cannot get to the female. I would keeping them separated for a few more days with a visual barrier and try again. The male should only see the female when he can actually get to her. Jmo.

Interesting, thanks for the input. The reason I decided to give them a little time to see eachother before breeding was because I read a forum that suggested it was a good idea so the female was comfortable with the male.

There is a possibility of a female reaching receptive phase and already gravid within a 2 week period. I have had a virgin female lay a fertile clutch 13 days after being put with a male. This possibility makes the suggestion of the female being comfortable with the male after being visible for that long flawed. This may work for other reptiles but is not a good method for panthers. Hopefully she is still receptive when you reintroduce them. If she is not you will know pretty quickly. If she is gravid you will have to wait a while before trying to breed her again.

Is he about to shed? His colors appear drab as if he will shed soon. If that is the case, he may be a little grouchy, that happens sometimes. If he's not about to shed, I would be a little concerned about his coloration, but maybe it's just the photo?

Is he about to shed? His colors appear drab as if he will shed soon. If that is the case, he may be a little grouchy, that happens sometimes. If he's not about to shed, I would be a little concerned about his coloration, but maybe it's just the photo?

Nah, he just shed a couple weeks ago.

The female doesn't look receptive to me. Either you missed the window of of opportunity or it hasn't arrived yet.

She's not showing that she's non-receptive. She follows him around the cage, he does his mating dance, but still hasn't climbed on yet.

Back
Top Bottom