Question about water crystals

:confused:Ok so I know that most use water crystals for their feeder insects but can you use the ball kind? The ones that are little gel balls after they absorb the water? I know they are non toxic but I still wanted to ask if anyone had used them.....

I think that people make different kinds of gels for their bugs for a good reason.

I imagine that you wouldn't want to eat the "non toxic" orbees or whatever those water balls are, just for the heck of it, it's probably not a good idea.

You can always buy water crystals for very cheap in large amounts, just search around some.

Or you can start feeding your bugs fruits with lots of water in them, like oranges, apples, etc

I have never used water crystals. If you feed the feeders fresh fruits and veggies they will get all the water they need.

I have never used them and don't know anyone that does. Fresh fruits and veggies are the best for hydration.

Carl

I suggest gel not crystles because they can expand when inside the chameleons stomach and potentially kill /explode his stomach if he eats a cricket or feeder with dry crystles in it :x no good flickers makes a gel which I use calcium fortified

If a cricket were to eat dry water crystals (i don't know who would even attempt to feed their crickets dry water crystals, but anyway), it would die before it had a chance to be fed to a cham. The crystals absorb 30 times their size in water and they do it in fairly short order. A dry crystal, even a small bit would dry a cricket out from the inside and kill it. I put dry crystals in with some crickets just to test this out and they just ignore them. The Water crystals are full of water when the cricket eats them and are no threat to the cricket or the cham.

I use them (H2O crystals) in my roach tanks to keep up humidity even tho I gut load with fruit, veg and dry roach chow. I just started keeping some in with the crickets too because they last longer. Ive never seen the ball kind.

:confused:Ok so I know that most use water crystals for their feeder insects but can you use the ball kind? The ones that are little gel balls after they absorb the water? I know they are non toxic but I still wanted to ask if anyone had used them.....

The ball kind are the same polymere used in the granulated kind so they'll work but you have to make sure they didnt add perfumes to them or fertilizer and that the coloring they use on them is food safe. The crystals are plain and safe. The balls are usually for some decorative purpose or for growing plants or both and may therefore include things you dont want inside your animal.

Back
Top Bottom