Question about plants

@Klyde O'Scope this the second time you have pulled me on this . This is not hearsay the award winning chameleon uk group has removed said plant from its said veiled safe plant list after a couple of veiled died following necropsys a quantity of said plant was found in the chameleon stomach high oxalate levels and low calcium levels found in blood work . Imo if any plant or anything was in anyway a risk to any of my pets I would not take it. If I felt that in anyway this was hearsay I would not have shared it but I do not believe this to be the case so I did .behove ,it behoves the house to assure itself that there is no conceivable alternative. There are alternatives. Good day

@Klyde O'Scope this the second time you have pulled me on this . This is not hearsay the award winning chameleon uk group has removed said plant from its said veiled safe plant list after a couple of veiled died following necropsys a quantity of said plant was found in the chameleon stomach high oxalate levels and low calcium levels found in blood work . Imo if any plant or anything was in anyway a risk to any of my pets I would not take it. If I felt that in anyway this was hearsay I would not have shared it but I do not believe this to be the case so I did .behove ,it behoves the house to assure itself that there is no conceivable alternative. There are alternatives. Good day
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

Well Done Good Job GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Yes, I just looked that thread up:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cham-safe-plants.182928/#post-1670872

You didn't provide any links or traceable citations to discuss, fact-check, or verify in that thread either. It was hearsay then, and it's hearsay now.

It also doesn't answer or address why none of the other lists (particularly https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/ )—or the websites that control them—have changed their recommendations, or why it hasn't appeared on any reputable chameleon or reptile sites. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that last point, but I have not seen/come across it.)

Well, then don't use Chameleon Academy, https://www.chameleons.info/en/, or https://www.madcham.de/en/ either, because they ALL list Schefflera Arboricola as being (Veiled) safe.
By this logic, no other information on those sites can be trusted either.
Just because a site gets one thing right doesn’t mean it’s a reliable source for overall chameleon care.

No reason to put other memebers down. This a forum to help educate and to endulge in our love for chameleons. Not to mock and chase away people.

🤷

Just because a site gets one thing right doesn’t mean it’s a reliable source for overall chameleon care.
The converse is also true, and that's the crux of the prejudice against—and putting down of—the owner of Chameleon School.

No reason to put other memebers down. This a forum to help educate and to endulge in our love for chameleons. Not to mock and chase away people.

🤷
I haven't put anybody down. I've asked for specific information in lieu of secondhand hearsay and fear-mongering.

Let's suppose for a moment that 2 chameleons did die who happened to have some umbrella plant in their guts with high oxalate and low calcium levels in their blood. That doesn't prove cause and effect. What other medical issues did they have? Were they checked for genetic anomalies that may have played a part? Those chameleons may never have been given calcium in their lives, been fed other high oxalate plant matter, and/or a huge list of other possible reasons.

Now we're supposed to modify everything that's been known to work because 2 veiled chameleons out of millions worldwide died?

The converse is also true, and that's the crux of the prejudice against—and putting down of—the owner of Chameleon School.

I haven't put anybody down. I've asked for specific information in lieu of secondhand hearsay and fear-mongering.

Let's suppose for a moment that 2 chameleons did die who happened to have some umbrella plant in their guts with high oxalate and low calcium levels in their blood. That doesn't prove cause and effect. What other medical issues did they have? Were they checked for genetic anomalies that may have played a part? Those chameleons may never have been given calcium in their lives, been fed other high oxalate plant matter, and/or a huge list of other possible reasons.

Now we're supposed to modify everything that's been known to work because 2 veiled chameleons out of millions worldwide died?
There’s been multiple instances between you and other members I’ve seen including me. We won’t get into that though because this a thread about plants, not how we should kindly rebuke opinions we disagree upon.

Flick mentions a well known UK Cham group removing the plant from their list of safe plants after a few chameleons had ate it and died. Assuming there was a autopsy on the Chams to find out they had that in their digestive tracks, they possibly looked at other possible causes and only found the plant.

If you want to put the plant in your enclosure, that’s fine OP can follow. Flick was just stating the concern surrounding the plant to OP and letting them know that there may be possible problems linked to it. If I were OP and saw this. I would just put the plant down and go for the 100s of safer options instead of possibly risking it with one plant. But I’m not OP. @OreoPapii will have to decide what they want. Sorry for your thread diverting OreoPapii.

Flick mentions a well known UK Cham group removing the plant from their list of safe plants after a few chameleons had ate it and died. Assuming there was a autopsy on the Chams to find out they had that in their digestive tracks, they possibly looked at other possible causes and only found the plant.
So far, none of that is in evidence, vs the two leading world authorities on keeping these animals both approving the plant.

@OreoPapii as this is your thread it is ultimately up to you what you do it would be complacent of me if I did not mention this
Thank you—it's a start, but why is the top of the post cut off, and why a screen shot rather than posting a link directly to it and these necropsy reports?

Well, then don't use Chameleon Academy, https://www.chameleons.info/en/, or https://www.madcham.de/en/ either, because they ALL list Schefflera Arboricola as being (Veiled) safe.
By this logic, no other information on those sites can be trusted either.
We've had this discussion before. There are plants on that list that experienced members said they wouldn't use, and the site is riddled with misinformation. For a new member, and a veiled owner, only using trusted sites with correct info is what's needed, otherwise it's on you if you recommend something that ends up hurting or killing their chameleon.

20D33E88-DB95-4DF0-964C-2B673BDB825D.jpeg
This is what they look like in his cage but I’ve read what most of you have said and I definitely agree with “when in doubt keep it out” but I had read that after putting these in I will keep looking for more plants but for right now I will keep these in because I have nothing else at the moment I have repotted these plants washing all dirt off the roots and washing the plant from head to toe and I have put them in coconut fiber and I haven’t forgotten about the uvb light still looking into that. Thank you everyone for your help I will continue to read everything everyone said.

Hanging some pothos will help fill the cage in and add coverage and natural vines (they're also one of the most inexpensive plants)!
*Edit, for the plants, either add organic worm compost to the coco fiber or use an organic soil without chemical fertilizers so plants get some nutrition. Also make sure to cover the soil in the pots with rocks too big for your cham to eat (you can get a big bag from Home Depot or Lowe's for like $3-5).

View attachment 308450This is what they look like in his cage but I’ve read what most of you have said and I definitely
Hanging some pothos will help fill the cage in and add coverage and natural vines (they're also one of the most inexpensive plants)!
*Edit, for the plants, either add organic worm compost to the coco fiber or use an organic soil without chemical fertilizers so plants get some nutrition. Also make sure to cover the soil in the pots with rocks too big for your cham to eat (you can get a big bag from Home Depot or Lowe's for like $3-5).
I have added some rocks but they are smaller but I don’t think they are small enough to fit in his mouth but there are some in there that are kind of like broken I guess want pictures of them or do you think they will be okay?

If you're not sure or if they're too small, just take them out and replace them. If you can get some oak tree trimmings, you can really step up his cage! If you call around to tree trimming companies, you might be able to get them for free (or ask a neighbor or trim some yourself)!

If you're not sure or if they're too small, just take them out and replace them. If you can get some oak tree trimmings, you can really step up his cage! If you call around to tree trimming companies, you might be able to get them for free (or ask a neighbor or trim some yourself)!
Also how are ways I could add hanging plants or put plants on the wall?
Edit* and yeah I’ll try and see if I can find some sticks or something we have a big oak tree in my neighborhood so I might ask my neighbor if I can just grab some sticks that fall LOL

Back
Top Bottom