Question about panther eggs

AncientCritters

Established Member
These eggs were laid 5-17-06 sired by my male chaos. One is getting dark and shriveled and another is starting to turn brown on one end. Ive kept them in the closet where temps are in the 70's most of the day with the humidity around 70%. I added some water for the first time today since they were laid. The humisity stayed in the 70's but dropped to 69 when I checked today so I added a little water. Is there anything I can do to save the egg. Also does the way im keeping them sound O.K.

Thanks
Robert

100610PICT1533.JPG-med.jpg

Personally, I think that egg is a gonner. And since the rest look pretty healthy up till now, Id say that it was infertile from the start. Same with the browning one.

Everyone uses different methods, with varying success. You have to do it in trial and error and develop your own methods, your own incubator, find the right location/temps/humidity etc. Don't get built up if this is your first clutch- think of htis as a trial run.

Don't let the eggs themselves get wet. Letting them sit in moistend medium is fine though. I personally like to bury mine a bit more so I can just see a bit of the top.

Good luck with them though.

I would definitley say the egg is infertile. The other eggs look good. There's really no exact science. I have seen eggs go full term and still have no sign of any development inside. Good luck with your other eggs.

I hope you aren't about to experience what happens often when incubating panther eggs....die off of eggs that contain almost ready to hatch babies.

If you make the eggs too moist, they can explode or the babies will suffocate inside the eggs.

I haven't hatched enough panther eggs to tell you for sure how to prevent it.

I know a lot of keepers use vermiculite (and have enjoyed success), but I'd advise against it in the future. It has a tendency to flake off into little pieces that could potentially get in a neonate's eyes. It also retains too much moisture in my opinion. After hatching my first clutch, and noticing a neonate with vermiculite in it's eye, that was enough for me to find something better. I use perlite exclusively now. It's easier to control moisture, and providing you sift the bigger particles from the dust, you should experience few eye problems if any. That being said, I have never switched the medium on my eggs during incubation, therefore, you should consult other members that have done so.

The egg in your photo is done. Take it out before it starts growing mold. Dents in an egg are reversible (too dry), but a shriveled egg, in that type of moisture, is infertile.

Back
Top Bottom