Question about Heat Pad and Dubia Roaches

ChameleonAlley

So, I just got my colony of about 150 mixed sized and sexed Dubias. I know my heat is not high enough that it should be. I keep hearing to use heat tape or a heating pad. Well, I don't know what heat tape is, but I've always heard it is a fire hazard to leave a heat pad on. Does anyone have any info on what type of heating pad I get, or if their is a true risk of a fire hazard? Thanks a ton for your help all. :)

Are the ultratherm heat pads safe to use on Rubbermaid Tubs? I read that they stay below 95 degrees, but i'd rather get the opinion of someone who actually uses them on a plastic tub.

Yes, thanks for the input. :) Have you heard that the ultratherm is safe all around? Am I crazy, or does it seem like a hazard to run a heating pad 24/7 and on rubber?

thinking about buying the ultratherm and a thermostat to regulate it. Just not sure about the safety of this setup. How is everyone keeping their roaches warm for breeding?

20 gallon tall glass aquarium with the 2 ends sitting on cement blocks, a domed reflector with a 100 watt ceramic heat "bulb" under the tank, pointing up against the glass bottom. It runs 95 degrees right by the ceramic heat source, 75 to 80 in the rest.

Dubias are in roach heaven.:D

Nick

Hi Kwelp68,

I use a Zoo Med heat pad the medium or large one I don't remember under my Rubbermaid tote. It works great with the repti temp 500r or just any thermostat to regulate a temperature. You can find these items online or at your nearest petco. Seems to have been working very well for me for about a year or two. Hope this helps. If you get the heat pad for sure get the thermostat otherwise you may end up harming your roach colony and or killing them. Keep them at about 85-90 degrees and you will see alot of babies in no time. Hope this is what you were looking for.:D

-Clemonde

I might go the zoo med heat pad route with a thermostat as I'm already keeping them in a huge rubbermaid bin. As long as this is pretty safe. The light under the aquarium is a really smart way to go, but I'd have to get a larger aquarium, cinder blocks, and all in all more set up. Thank you for this info you all. :)

20 gallon tall glass aquarium with the 2 ends sitting on cement blocks, a domed reflector with a 100 watt ceramic heat "bulb" under the tank, pointing up against the glass bottom. It runs 95 degrees right by the ceramic heat source, 75 to 80 in the rest.

Dubias are in roach heaven.:D

Nick

Nick, I am going to start a colony this way. I will keep you posted as to how they do. I have an unused aquarium, and reflector. Hopefully, I can start a colony w/ the dubias I have.

Yes, thanks for the input. :) Have you heard that the ultratherm is safe all around? Am I crazy, or does it seem like a hazard to run a heating pad 24/7 and on rubber?
for my roach colony i use a zoo med rh-4 under tank heat pad, they are only 8 watts and produce just enough heat without regulation,they never get hotter than luke warm to the touch,mine is stuck to the bottom of a rubermaid and on 24/7 and there are probably tens of thousands of them in use

for my roach colony i use a zoo med rh-4 under tank heat pad, they are only 8 watts and produce just enough heat without regulation,they never get hotter than luke warm to the touch,mine is stuck to the bottom of a rubermaid and on 24/7 and there are probably tens of thousands of them in use

I'll be buying one asap. Thank you. :)

good to know. thanks! i'm getting ready to start my colony.

Back
Top Bottom