question about dead chams

Hey cain i believe your one mouse skeleton away from bleaching your neighbors bones ! Jeffrey Dahmer much son! hahahahahaha just kidding:p:p

Betty was the most beautiful I ever saw her after she passed. She was the brightest blues and greens.. It broke my heart, but she was going out in the best dress she could and I was proud.

If the box is intact and you can peice together the bones You could re-assemble her skeleton and mount it. new life, pheonix from the ashes!

no idea what they are using for a tongue here
Veiled%20chameleon%20skeleton%20rostral2.jpg

Wow thats gonna give me nightmares..its all bugeyed!!! :eek: Like that! EEK!

mines in the ground now in a box just waiting for spring to come, lol cant dig it out of 4 feet of snow

Man, you know you found where you belong when things you've hidden from other people are discussed out in the open.

I love collecting skeletons. I have a wonderful collection ranging from a gopher head to one of my chams who passed many years ago. My husband doesn't even know about this!!! Well, he did find out about the cow skulls I would bring back after hiking. :eek:

And I do my own necropsy's on chams to try see if any organs show any negative signs that will help me with the caretaking of the remaining dudes & dudetts. You can see the effects of dehydration on the kidneys and liver which led me to more constant misting and installing a drip system (this was many years agao...I'm starting from scratch now.

I froze Betty but was too scared to unwrap the towel before I buried her.. But I know when I did it about an hour after I froze her ont he day I put her in there, she was just beautiful...Stunning..and in perfect form.. but I left her longer int here to make sure she was completely gone til the next day and then I couldnt reopen it for fear I would cry again.:( So Ill remember her as that beautiful blue she was when she passed.. but very neat (and kinda creepy)..topic..

jo that is the actual bone that supports the tougue the tougue kinda srunches up on that bone kinda coiled then fires then recoils back onto the bone crazy huh!:eek:

I didnt know that, I thought it was all muscle like. So thats what they call the hyoid? Awesome!

Thanks for teaching me something ! :)

Last edited:
I know this is a super old post. BUT I went over to this guys house that kept chams and he actually put his Cham In the freezer in a ziplock bag......It looked stunning. It was orange and bright yellow. Of course its eyes where dark and sucken in. He said he was going to try to find someone that could do taxidermy on it..........He had it in the freezer for over 2 years now.....:rolleyes:

That Parsonii is just plain ol creepy looking.

From what I remember reading on here is they turn black right after death but then turn all purty. No?

i dont know if it has to do with the better colors when dead, but my nosy faly blue, his colors got insanely strong within 2 weeks of him dieing so it may be related, so know he got some killer colors when he died

heres a before and after for ya

Attachments

• GEDC0202.jpg
    GEDC0202.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    IMG_0635.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 145
Ok question.. how come you keep bringing up a bunch of your threads from 2008?

But on the topic.. I personally have done taxidermy a little bit on birds. So freaking hard its ridiculous. I imagine having a chameleon mounted could be possible, but very expensive. Plus i think you'd have a hard time finding someone that could do it. your best bet would be a fish taxidermist because of the skin. It'd be really hard (in my opinion) to skin a chameleon, especially its head. Then they would have to create a body to slip the skin over like a sock.. with birds, and mammals its pretty simple. But i cant imagine trying it on a reptile. Most fish mounts are actually a painted piece because the skin is so delicate and hard to work with. I'd imagine the same for reptiles. You might be able to find someone to do that? I actually have a friend that is a professional i could ask about it.

Skinning reptiles and amphibians isn't really all that difficult, but it is delicate. I've had to do it for a comparative anatomy class.

All my chameleons that have died looked worse right after dying than alive. They would get dark black blotches, and be light in some areas, but it was not pretty. They didn't look peaceful or beautiful.

This is a very old thread. but my experience with chameleons who have passed is that their colors dull down to very dark colors They looked like they felt I am sure. it might be different if it were a chameleon that passed of old age. not being sick I am not sure but it has been my experience that they were very dark colors before dying.

Back
Top Bottom