Quarantine

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
My new roommate has two snakes and a beardie. We would like to put them in Monas room and create a reptile room. She has had them for a while but no recent fecals. How long would I quarantine for?

IMHO...it's not the internal parasites that you have to worry about ...as long as you practice good hygiene (wash hands, don't use equipment from one cage to the next, etc) that shouldn't be s problem. It's airborne things... bacteria, viruses and even some fungal infections, etc .... that are more of a concern.

IMHO...it's not the internal parasites that you have to worry about ...as long as you practice good hygiene (wash hands, don't use equipment from one cage to the next, etc) that shouldn't be s problem. It's airborne things... bacteria, viruses and even some fungal infections, etc .... that are more of a concern.

Would those issues already be present in the snakes and bearded dragon?

If we practice good hygiene would it be safe to immedietly house them in the cham room?

It is also looking like I will have a new female who recently had wellness checks and clean fecals--should I still quarantine her? She has been in exceptional care.

Id be super sure those snakes cant escape. My limited experience with friends/roomies snakes was that they were escape artists. Granted they were large snakes. Also had a coworker whos snake ate his jacksons cham. Just be careful!

Eek.

They will probably now be in a different room. Good point. I've never had snakes!

Beardies commonly carry coccidia... Or at least that is what my guy at the pet store and I were talking about. He breeds and they rarely treat them due to it being common and them not having the same issues that a chameleon would.

Beardies commonly carry coccidia... Or at least that is what my guy at the pet store and I were talking about. He breeds and they rarely treat them due to it being common and them not having the same issues that a chameleon would.

This is all I need to hear. They are going in their own room.

Thank you Becca!

This is all I need to hear. They are going in their own room.

Thank you Becca!
That is what he told me at least. He does not house his in the same room as his chams and he does not use any items between the two rooms. I spoke with him a lot when I went through my situation. He said exposure is highly unlikely when you are cautious and not keeping them in the same area, washing your hands between handling, and ensuring that you don't use anything between the two.

I don't know how legit the info is but he is the only person at the mom and pop store that I go to that I trust and actually knows his stuff when it comes to husbandry on chams. So I would imagine that he knows what he is talking about with beardies as well.

Back
Top Bottom