Quads verss Jackson's

So, I have had Jackson's for a while now. They are doing great and I am totally in sync with how to keep them. I am about to get my first Quad and I'm told that they are very similar to keeping Jackson's except they like it a little cooler. Has anybody also kept both species who might like to add some information to me "what to expect" list? I really want my new little guy to do well and, as we know, Quads are not one of the most available species so there's not a LOT of information available.

I do have Laurie's care sheet and Tylene has been very helpful with information too. (P.S. I'm just basically bragging that I'm about to get a Quad. LOL):D

I tried to keep them under 74 at all times. When I kept and bred them, I had just their UV lights on them, with no basking lights.

Jackson's on the other hand, can go to a basking spot of about 80.

I sprayed them with the same time lengths, and amount of water. One thing I noticed about the quads, though, is even when given the opportunity to bask (when brought outside when it was cool enough in Florida), they did not really bask too much; but rather, they stayed in their plants under the leaves.

Chase

So, I have had Jackson's for a while now. They are doing great and I am totally in sync with how to keep them. I am about to get my first Quad and I'm told that they are very similar to keeping Jackson's except they like it a little cooler. Has anybody also kept both species who might like to add some information to me "what to expect" list? I really want my new little guy to do well and, as we know, Quads are not one of the most available species so there's not a LOT of information available.

I do have Laurie's care sheet and Tylene has been very helpful with information too. (P.S. I'm just basically bragging that I'm about to get a Quad. LOL):D

You already know I am happy for you!! i have told you all I know.;)

I currently have a few and have had them since Jan.

I've kept them way in the past as well. Currently mine have been thriving at day temps around 79 with lows closer to 72. Yes I know that is not the standard. Main thing I have to do with slightly higher temps is make sure they have access to more water in the form of an extra drip system fill up per day so they stay hydrated. They do acclimate over time with very small adjustments to the temps. I also have a mist king that helps with the humidity and that also drops the temps a little when it comes on.

Mine don't bask and I don't bother with a basking light. Even when they go outside for a few days weather permitting they rarely ever just flat out bask like other chams I've kept.

Good luck and enjoy

In the summer, my quads that are inside (babies and sub adults) the day time temps are in the low 80s, low 70s at night. No heat lamps.

In the winter, 75 day, low 60s @ night. (babies, I keep warmer) I have heat lamps with low watts available in the Am only for the older quads. They do bask after a cold night.

Luckily, where I live, I can use the outside weather to heat, cool their room.

The humidity, I try to keep a minimum of 70%.

I think they are hardier than we think. I had babies born during a 100 degree heat wave that did just fine. My chameleon room does not have air conditioning. But lots of misting is necessary. I like the misters for the babies, but the adults seem to prefer the raindomes.

You're right Tylene. I have kept them outside all summer. They aren't as sensitive to heat as people make them out to be. Common sense goes a long way as does misting, but I never even give it a thought when temps. are around 80F.

Interesting discussion.

I am always delighted when successful keepers share their experiences and unconventional ones, in particular.

Kudos to you all for sharing!

Congrats to SCharton74 for getting yet another fascinating type of cham!

I keep my quads in the same room as my panthers just with lower wattage basking bulbs and offer the odd hand misting above what the mistking does for the whole room. I also supplement them a little less than my panthers. My oldest is pushing 5 years now and I love them all to pcs.
Laurie is a great resource for quad info
Also I did a care sheet blog. I will see if I can find it and attach to this thread
Congrats you sure will love the quads

I can't seem to attach the link on my iPad but it's the only blog I have ever done lol. So it should be easy to find if you are interested

Back
Top Bottom