pygmys in aquariums

ROFLonfire

I read the recently posted thread about pygmys kept in aquariums and feel better about my decision to do pygmys in a 29 gallon tank.

My only question is whether or not I should use a fan on that tank.

Is my ceiling fan enough? The tank isn't sitting directly under the fan but you don't have to be under a ceiling fan directly to feel the breeze. This fan is going constantly in my room.

If the aquarium is a bad idea I can just trade it in for a considerably smaller terrarium. I figured the 29 would be fantastic for a pygmy since it'll have so much more space.

You should read Julirs post on pygmies - Pyglets Cuteness ad nauseum (don't konw how to link it, you can find it in the search by username). She goes into detail about her trial and errors on habitats.

You could also consider either buying or building a "screen-top" for your aquarium, thus giving the cute little b*st*rds double the space and more potential for airflow. I built a couple (sort of trailer-park style) and Brad R. bought the luxury condo style, and both of us seem to be enjoying greater control and thus a high degree of success keeping our little grunters healthy and happy. The fan should be fine by the way.

You should explain to me how to create this "screen-top". Photos maybe? Sounds like it'll be fun to do. Before I go searching for this thread, can someone give me another opinion?

My biggest issue with doing pygmys is conflicting information about lighting. The place I'll buy the chams from say UV-B, the place I buy all my fish supplies (they do reptiles as well) say a single fluorescent light will be fine.

Which should I do?

It still has not been determined whether pygmy chameleons actually use UVB. However, most people will tell you that they still use UVB lighting since it's what they get in nature and that it benefits the live plants in the enclosure. I use UVB tubes on my crew, but not on hatchlings.

Seeing as how I'm just going to use the light strip from my 29 gallon tank for when I convert it, what kind of bulb should I be looking for?

I had a 15 gallon glass ter. that had vents on the side. I also had a screen top to help with ventilation. I had 2 bearded pygmies in there and kept them outside through out the day when temps were about 70-80 with no problem. I kept potted plants on top and around the tank to help with shade. I misted it heavily twice a day. I sold it to make room for my panthers and now I am going to get some more in a 30gallon.

I use the old 5.0s when I replace our Jackson's lights. (waste not want not)

Use your imagination when building the screen top. Just make sure there aren't big gaps the feeders (or pygmys themselves) can escape through. I lost one a few months ago and thought he was a goner ... but found him 2 days later in another room on top of some lumber I was saving for another cage.
Just looking up at me saying WHAT!?! Da Noive!!

Ha, thanks for all the feedback. Its going to make this process alot easier and fun.

I officially began my conversion of the 29 today. I got my 55 gallon tank which I'm transfering all my fish in to once its cycled.

I was told when I had a male and female pair of bearded pygmies that a repti sun 2.0 was better due to their dim lighting under all the leaf littler and shaded in foliage under the forest canopy. I would agree that UVB is something you should give them, but 5.0 is a bit on the extra side.

-Carol

I was told when I had a male and female pair of bearded pygmies that a repti sun 2.0 was better due to their dim lighting under all the leaf littler and shaded in foliage under the forest canopy. I would agree that UVB is something you should give them, but 5.0 is a bit on the extra side.

-Carol

Using a used 5.0, which is what I do, is essentially the same as a 2.0 ... perhaps a bit stronger.
I typically use reptisun 5.0 tubes for a year before moving them to pygmy duty, but I would not hesitate to put a new 5.0 over a pygmy enclosure.
The best proof I have that they need it is watching them bask under the uvb light for a pretty good part of the day.
Rarely do they go down and hide from the light and my enclosures have densely planted areas ... they could easily protect themselves from it.
Even on the forest floor there are sunny patches (they don't live in the rain forest) I suspect they get quite a bit of sun in their natural mountain forest floor environment.

-Brad

Update:

The 29 gallon tank now only has fish that will be returned to the store of purchase due to incompatibility with fish in the 55 which is just about stocked.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the pet store where the chameleons will be purchased. I'm going to find out what they can get in for me and how much.

:D

Well, the pet store can't get any pygmys in simply because they don't have anywhere to put them since business has been slow.

However, my preferred store in town is possibly getting an in with a local breeder.

Soooooo, it may not be so hopeless.

Can I keep the substrate I have in my tank and just add the coconut husks on top of it?

I would just keep misting the cage like you would if you had Pygmy Chams in it, and treat it like it too, just to get all your methods down and stuff, and when they get them in, you will have an awesome set up habitat for them.

Back
Top Bottom