pygmy's health

Pygmy chameleon

Established Member
  • Your Chameleon - Male pygmy chameleon and has been in my care for a 5 days
  • Handling - three times
  • Feeding - he is eating 1/4 crickets,hes only eaten 5 crickets.I feed him in the morning.
  • Supplements - I am lightly dusting my feeders without d3 every second day , i also dust with d3 and a multivitamin twice a month
  • Watering - I hand spray for about 45 seconds. Ive only ever seen him drink once
  • Fecal Description - brown with a yellow tinge to his urate .Never been tested for parasites
  • History - he is a wild caught unfortunately

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass with a screen top 12X12X18
  • Lighting - I have a 60 watt house bulb and a tropical reptile UVB 13W bulb.12 hours bright and 12 dark
  • Temperature - the temperature usually stays around 25C- 27C
  • Humidity - usually stays around 60%-85% . I have a humidity gauge
  • Placement - a bedroom about 53 inches above the floor.
  • Location - Quebec,Canada

Current Problem - He hasn't been eating for 3 days and seems a little weak. He is still climbing but hes not as active.To my eyes he doesnt look healthy.I have a vet appointment in two weeks (the earliest i could get) so any help would be greatly appreciated

View media item 42083View media item 42082View media item 42081

Last edited:
It is very normal for chameleons to have trouble eating when they first move in to a new home. It's very stressful. They might eat the first day or two because they are hungry after transport, but then it takes them a bit to get used to their new surroundings. I'm not totally familiar with pygmy care, but if your husbandry is adequate (look at the caresheets in care resources), then I'd say you're doing fine. A vet visit won't hurt, but he should be fine until then and he may take about a week to begin eating normally, which is fine as long as you keep him hydrated.

It is very normal for chameleons to have trouble eating when they first move in to a new home. It's very stressful. They might eat the first day or two because they are hungry after transport, but then it takes them a bit to get used to their new surroundings. I'm not totally familiar with pygmy care, but if your husbandry is adequate (look at the caresheets in care resources), then I'd say you're doing fine. A vet visit won't hurt, but he should be fine until then and he may take about a week to begin eating normally, which is fine as long as you keep him hydrated.
Alright thank you

Declining health and vigor are always a very bad sign. If you aren't familiar with the species and especially dealing with newly imported wild caughts which he might be, a vet visit sooner rather than later might make the difference between him living or dying. I suspect he is dehydrated since you mention yellow urates and only mist for 45 seconds.

I think you may have him to hot, they do not like it very warm, 80 is pretty warm for a pygmy - they do have a 2.0 uvb, but also lots of plants to "hide" from the uv also - remember, they stay mostly on the ground or low underbrush, so try to give him a thick planted area to stay cool in - and I would mist him a bit more, 45 sec is fine, but at least 2 X a day -

Too hot! Don't go over 25 degrees. Long exposure to temps >25°C is lethal for pygmies. You should keep the day temps around 18-22°C and around 10-15°C during the night. The rest of your husbandry seems allright. Maybe show some pictures of him, that makes it easier to estimate his health situation.

Back
Top Bottom