Pygmy Paludarium

I recently made plans (now I just have to wait for the funds to actually do it!) For a vivarium with both Brevs and Uroplatus Phantasticus (my favorite animal)
The key to this was that they have identical needs in food (both being very, very small) and in housing, but the pygmys are so heavily diurnal whereas the Phants are extremely nocturnal. One species would never see the other awake.

I'm not someone who encourages the keeping of different species together. You need to make absolutely sure that they need the same habitat, and you will be more successful if you choose one diurnal and one nocturnal animal.

Well that should be very educational. Will you keep a blog of your 'progress' and link us so we can follow?

:)

Also mudskippers require brackish water. IMO this setup would be completely inappropriate for either species.

I have a 46 gallon paludarium with gold dust newts and red cherry shrimp(which seem to be dwindling but hopefully breed soon enough)...and may possibly add foam nest frogs(Polypedates leucomystax) to it. The caveat is you need to have healthy animals that live in the same general environment.(this is someone of a stretch because P. leucomystax is a introduced species on Okinawa island). I would need to add some more branches to the land area for the treefrogs to use and hang egg masses from. And then theirs the possibility of interspecies interactions. While their are cases of people keeping frogs and newts together,(such as green treefrogs and N. viridescens), this necessitates that the frog recognizes the newts are not meant to be eaten.

BlackBetty: 9 months isn't much. Again risks are big here with frogs from different areas and WC frogs.

Viaje: WHy not Brookesia and then Uroplatus?

Last edited:
I got the same lecture for having different species of frogs int he same cage.. I have 2 cricket frogs from a creek and a red eye tree frog..they have co existed for about 9 months together now and are doing great.. But because they wouldnt "normally" exist, I was told this is unacceptable. I say if they have SIMILAR systems and you are able to maintain temps, humidity, and as close to their natural environment as possible, why not give it a go? People have to learn by trying or nothing would ever be known, right.. I would just be weary of the chams possibly drowning if they fall or venture. Id o not know what mudskippers are, but hope that their diet wouldnt involve a pygmy if it was readily available.. Good luck to ya.:)

I have 2 wild caught Western Chorus Frogs, a wild caught gold tree frog, and 3 wild caught green tree frogs in a Terrarium that has a built in pond and pump system. (They exist in huge numbers in my dads Yard in the summer in Michigan.) They have been happily coexisting for almost a year. I was told that the chorus frogs wouldn't last. They were all babies when we caught them I was also told I was doing a horrible thing. The different frogs are happy together. The Chorus frogs stick to the pond and muddy mossy areas, and the tree frogs stick to the back rock wall, or leaves of the plants.

I have actually modified my plans for the paludarium. I am completley splitting the tank in half with one side being land and the other water with a piece of eggcrate as the divider. On the land side I am putting like pebbles down first for drainage and then a screen or something then my topsoil.

On the water side I am going to just silicone some slate to the eggcrate while still alowing water flow underneath the land and then have some turtle docks and emerging driftwood for the mudskippers.

I also changed my mind and I am doing Indian mudskippers which reach 4 inches max and can be very easily acclimated to freshwater.

Critterguy,
I'd want to buy the Uros first because they're so touchy compared to chameleons, and I feel that if they were put into a stressful situation (moving to a new cage) it would just be too much on them if they also realized that they weren't alone. I could get the Pygmies and house them in something else while I was establishing the viv and waiting for the right opportunity to get Phants... but I feel I would be pushing my luck to introduce such a fragile animal into an already populated cage.

Although mudskippers can survive FW(salinity in mangrove swamps often drops dramatically during heavy rain)...they are always found in areas of marine influence in the wild and are not the easiest fish to keep. They require brackish water for successful longterm maintenance. Again you are compromising the needs of both species to put this together.

Marty: Providing all frogs are from the same area, and the tank is big enough they can all avoid each other and have their preferred environs it sounds fine to me.

Have you thought about putting tree frogs in with your mudskipper? I just love those, BTW. Hard to find here, though. And shipping is outragous!

aren't mudskippers known for eating small animals (pygmy sized)? or is that an axolotl? i remember reading something about one being able to eat pinky mice, that could pose a big threat if the skipper got hungry

Back
Top Bottom