Pygmy Cham Exo Terra 12" X 12" X 18"

I don't have the species sorted out, but I think there are some Ranitomeya that are true terrestrial frogs and just stay on the ground all the time. They are small anyway so I think 12" X 12" should be space enough for one or two. I don't know. I need to research it some more.

I will have some vertical branch features in here, but they are just for mounting some little mini orchids and ferns that I have and they won't even touch the bottom.

Do you know about sources for those bumble bee toads?

I don't have the species sorted out, but I think there are some Ranitomeya that are true terrestrial frogs and just stay on the ground all the time. They are small anyway so I think 12" X 12" should be space enough for one or two. I don't know. I need to research it some more.

I will have some vertical branch features in here, but they are just for mounting some little mini orchids and ferns that I have and they won't even touch the bottom.

Do you know about sources for those bumble bee toads?

I do know there are several Dart species that are more terrestrial but can't think of them off the top of my head. I do recall that many of the more terrestrial ones seemed much more difficult to keep.

I shot you PM that had the only sources I know of for the bumble bee toads. (Which are different from bumble bee frogs)

I got back to work on this thing again in the middle of the night.

17-vi-12-viv-i-m.jpg

I liked the one in my 37G viv a lot and decided to make one of these manzanita features designed to hang from the top for this one too.

17-vi-12-viv-iii-m.jpg

I left the manzanita in my 37 bare, but I'm going to plant this one with mini orchids and ferns. I'll have to maintain very high humidity in the enclosure.

And here is the whole deal with the manzanita in the Exo.

17-vi-12-viv-ii-m.jpg

I hope to plant it up and have more picture later today.

I see no need for you to do all of that work. Just put a few of the cool plants in and get that in the mail to me ASAP!!!

I am going to clean and redo the terrarium I had the williamsi in and think I will be needing some help from you. I totally love the manzanita coming down from the top, but how do you secure that to a screen or does it go all the way across the top? i will also need to get one of the super cool bottom planters and your source for mini orchids.

Looks like you and I are going to be buddies.:D

Last edited:
I see no need for you to do all of that work. Just put a few of the cool pants in and get that in the mail to me ASAP!!!

I am going to clean and redo the terrarium I had the williamsi in and think I will be needing some help from you. I totally love the manzanita coming down from the top, but how do you secure that to a screen or does it go all the way across the top? i will also need to get one of the super cool bottom planters and your source for mini orchids.

Looks like you and I are going to be buddies.:D

The manzanita is attached to a 1/4" plastic strip with stainless steel screws and washer.

17-vi-12-viv-iii-m.jpg

The plastic strip just rests in the inside grooves of the Exo Terra top plastic frame. There isn't room left for the screen top, but one could easily make a custom screen top to cover the rest of the open space with one of those aluminum screen frame kits. I am going to maintain this as a high-humidity enclosure, so I will cover the rest of the top with a small piece of plate glass. I'm also going to include a small CPU fan for air circulation inside.

Like I mentioned earlier I am not going to put pygmy chams in here. I am wondering about instead introducing a group of ghost mantids (Phyllocrania paradoxa). I am going to be getting a few nymphs in trade.

I can suggest a few good sources for mini orchids and a few good species too. I used to have more around here, but I sold a lot of them off.

I attached long-fibre sphagnum moss to some of the manzanita branches. I will plant the mini orchids and ferns right onto the moss. I used 4 lb. fishing line and it took me a couple hours wrapping around and around and around.

18-vi-12-manzanita-i-m.jpg

Thanks!

Here it is planted up.

18-vi-12-manzanita-ii-m.jpg

It will take a few months but those little mini ferns should grow and cover most of the sphagnum moss.

I am impressed I can't wait to see it finished!

I'll bet your displays are even more impressive in person. Very nicce.

Just want to say I am so happy you are a sponsor. There is so much I can learn from you. And I do have a lot to learn.:)

That is really cool, I have never seen anything like it

I am impressed I can't wait to see it finished!

I'll bet your displays are even more impressive in person. Very nicce.

Just want to say I am so happy you are a sponsor. There is so much I can learn from you. And I do have a lot to learn.:)

What are all the types of plants you used here? i see you mentioned mini fern but what else??

Ditto - pretty cool.

Thanks everybody! I have a couple pictures of it in the enclosure too and I'll try to post those up later.

Those ferns are various species of miniature epiphytic button ferns. Some of the people who keep dart frogs collect stuff like that. They need good air circulation and high humidity all the time. This setup won't really be suitable for pygmy chams any more. I need to figure out some other kind of livestock for it.

I do know there are several Dart species that are more terrestrial but can't think of them off the top of my head. I do recall that many of the more terrestrial ones seemed much more difficult to keep.

I shot you PM that had the only sources I know of for the bumble bee toads. (Which are different from bumble bee frogs)

Bumble bee toads might be just about the best choice for this setup if I want to keep some kind of herp. I did review all that stuff you sent in that PM.

I wonder if my local place can get them in(??). That would be preferable so I can avoid a big shipping charge for just a couple of frogs.

Here it is in the Exo.

18-vi-12-manzanita-iii-m.jpg

Now I need to plant into the bottom. I have some nice terrestrial ferns and other stuff to use in the bottom.

Something happened to my post, but I have planted nanos and aquariums for pygs until they stopped coming into this country. I am now pygless and I sure miss the little guys.

Check out my blog. My method is a little easier. I just make 3 layers with screen in between. Seems to work well and the dirt stays sweet smelling and have never had a mold problem. Just be sure to give them lots of sticks to travel on and use pebbles with some little indentations under them for the girls to dig under to lay eggs. They like spots with soft dirt.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/bocajan/527-creating-pygmy-terrarium.html

Back
Top Bottom