Pygmy Cham Exo Terra 12" X 12" X 18"

Here it is with the bottom planted and with leaf litter.

18-vi-12-manzanita-iv-m.jpg

Amazing...

Also. I think I sourced an adult PinkToe for you. But the guy is in Albany. He will be at a expo down here by me and I'll hand pick one for you. I'll be getting the best possible price and shipping will be $10 overnight. I'll get an exact quote for you little later.

I am very impressed. Between you and Jon I am so impressed by the elegant styles I am certainly going to have to try a set up like this... I have this 18 x 18 x 18 exo terra that is just sitting there begging me to do something with it other than keep feeder bins...

Bumble bee toads might be just about the best choice for this setup if I want to keep some kind of herp. I did review all that stuff you sent in that PM.

I wonder if my local place can get them in(??). That would be preferable so I can avoid a big shipping charge for just a couple of frogs.

They are pretty common. I can find them in at least two places locally at any given time. I'm not sure where you live but if it is in a moderate sized population center you should be able to find a pair locally.

I do like your mantis idea though. I would go with an orchid mantis but it can be tough spending that much money on something that just won't live long there are tons of great looking mantids that would do and look great perched up in there.

I am very impressed. Between you and Jon I am so impressed by the elegant styles I am certainly going to have to try a set up like this... I have this 18 x 18 x 18 exo terra that is just sitting there begging me to do something with it other than keep feeder bins...

Hey well I'd love to help with it if you might like to do a new planted setup in that Exo. I have been monkeying with this idea long enough that I can offer a few ideas.

A key part of the elegant style with this kind of planted layout is the use of negative space. The negative space is the element that really makes the plant architecture and other features stand out. In addition to that new(ish) planting method and the plant choice I also want to work on that as a concept for making more dramatic and convincing terrarium plantings.

They are pretty common. I can find them in at least two places locally at any given time. I'm not sure where you live but if it is in a moderate sized population center you should be able to find a pair locally.

I do like your mantis idea though. I would go with an orchid mantis but it can be tough spending that much money on something that just won't live long there are tons of great looking mantids that would do and look great perched up in there.

The local store here could probably get them, but as of a half-hour ago it looks like I will be getting some ghost mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa) nymphs via trade for some plants. If I decide to keep them in here they should be a good display choice. I hope they won't get too big and fat and squash the plants. Ghost mantis are nice to keep in a display because so long as you keep them well fed you can have them as a semi-colony without too much cannibalism. I hope they will breed for me so I can keep them going longer-term.

A group of nymphs should in the mail pretty soon...

Google: Phyllocrania paradoxica

I hope they will ship OK in this hot weather. If they get here in good shape this is what I will use in this setup. I will grow up a few of them in here and in a couple other growout containers. Supposedly you can house ghost mantis in small groups so long as you keep them well fed.

Here's another setup that I just started working on. This one is in an 18" X 18" X 24" Exo Terra at our local reptile specialty shop. It's a little bit difficult to see in this photo but you can get the general idea.

20-vi-12-reptile-rapture-i-m.jpg

Those are pieces of Lake Superior driftwood on slate bases in there. I need to add some kind of plant to fill out the top left corner because it looks oddly empty there. I might mount a few Neoregelia on the driftwood pieces and I might also bring over some larger terrestrial plants.

They are going to put some kind of dart frog in there, but I am unsure of which species.

Here's another shot to show the terrestrial plants in the 12X12 a little bit better. That is a Costus woodsonii spiral ginger right in the middle with a couple of Pilea grandifolia on the left. I am trying to figure out what the fern is.

21-vi-12-viv-i-m.jpg

I was looking through my folders and ran into this other shot from before I added the leaf litter and with a different perspective.

17-vi-12-viv-iv-m1.jpg

It still looks good without the leaf litter!

Did you ever pick up those mantids?

I so I want to see pictures!

Dart frogs for sale???

Just put together my first dart frog habitat (18" X 18" X 24" Exo Terra), looking to buy a few frogs in the San Gabriel Valley area (Ca.) Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tony

Just put together my first dart frog habitat (18" X 18" X 24" Exo Terra), looking to buy a few frogs in the San Gabriel Valley area (Ca.) Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Tony

This isn't really the best forum for that but Josh's frogs has very good reviews and will ship to your location:

http://www.joshsfrogs.com/

If you have or want Chameleons stay here! If you don't want chameleons stay here and you will probably change your mind :)

For frogs go to one of these places for advice:

http://www.frogforum.net/
http://www.dendroboard.com/

I got my half-dozen Phyllocrania mantises in the mail 100% alive.

They are small nymphs and too small to go into that display. I will have to set them up with growout enclosures tonight.

I got my half-dozen Phyllocrania mantises in the mail 100% alive.

They are small nymphs and too small to go into that display. I will have to set them up with growout enclosures tonight.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures those things are so cool and will look fantastic in the enclosure once they grow up a little!

I will try to post pictures tomorrow. They are very small, but I have a macro lens for the Olympus.

They will need to go through a couple more instars before I can put them in the Exo Terra. They are so small I think they could probably squeeze through the gap between the two front doors.

Back
Top Bottom