pygmy breeding

booshified

I posted this in another thread but I thought I should start a seperate thread about it. Please feel free to move this if not in the right section.

I know you can keep pygmies together. I believe the recommendation was one for every 10 gallons.

do you guys keep only females together in order to stop reproduction.

i guess my concern with this setup would be that they would reproduce too much and my tank would not be big enough for all of them.

You can definitely keep more then one R. brev per 10 gallon enclosure. I have one of those nifty 18' cube exo terra tanks for my primary breeding enclosure. However, i also have several 10 gallon enclosures that work wonderfully for housing a trio of brevs. A 1 male per 2 female ratio works great. I wouldn't suggest keeping more then 1 male per 10 gallon tank; they can be testy little buggers with one another. As far as over population goes, i wouldn't worry too much about that. Chances are, if your brev's successfully rear eggs (which they more then likely will, considering that most are wild caught and are purchased gravid), you will want to separate your captive bred generations from their original wild caught parents. Aside from that, a 10 gallon tank will run you roughly 10 bucks at petco and will only cost about an extra 10-20 bucks in furnishings, so its not a huge issue to make another enclosure if you are having successful reproduction.

-Cala-

Back
Top Bottom