Purpose of the casque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovepicasso

Seems that some veileds have a larger or taller casque than some others and I really don't know the purpose of it........is it for sexual attraction, camouflage, or male dominance, and what is inside that casque?.....don't want to sound dumb or anything like that, just really don't know.

The casque is supposed to be for dominance over other males and maybe to attract females. As for what's inside-I don't know!?! What is inside?:confused:

One of the purposes of the casque is to help channel rainfall toward their mouth. I suspect probably because Yemen doesn't get quite as much rainfall as othe tropical environments of chameleons. I have actually seen this in action with mine! He will sit in front of his mister with just his casque right in front of the nozzle and just drinks away as the water rolls down it to his mouth. Pretty neat to watch actually. I think that it is it's most functional aspect. Otherwise territorial and mating displays can also be considered since it's colorful. The casque itself is made of muscle and fat and supported by bone.

well, i think it is just to make them more regal looking!
but i have heard that it can help them funnel water towards the mouth.

but really it's mostly for cute!

i have also read that it is used as some sort of shade device. The sun hits it right and it will shade their body a bit...idk saw that on yahoo answers lol.

One of the purposes of the casque is to help channel rainfall toward their mouth. I suspect probably because Yemen doesn't get quite as much rainfall as othe tropical environments of chameleons. I have actually seen this in action with mine! He will sit in front of his mister with just his casque right in front of the nozzle and just drinks away as the water rolls down it to his mouth. Pretty neat to watch actually. I think that it is it's most functional aspect. Otherwise territorial and mating displays can also be considered since it's colorful. The casque itself is made of muscle and fat and supported by bone.
Yes! The snout is really neat with two ridges on each side that forms a nice channel running down to the mouth. The casque likely serves multiple functions.

Absolute and sinful fabulation with no base
1. No water collection happens
2. Flagrant non-knowledge of the rainfall in ayemen demonstrated and even suspected
3. No mating and territorial display function,
4. There is no dat inside just muscle
a pure fantasy

No, this is all sinfully fabulated and not true
I regret resurrecting such an old thread. I'm not asserting certainty, just my observations. I'm not a vet or biologist. What about the casque as an intimidation tool to lessen the likelihood of fights between males? We see similar situations with other animals that use size or some other variable in lieu of fighting because of the risks involved with conflict.

I regret resurrecting such an old thread. I'm not asserting certainty, just my observations. I'm not a vet or biologist. What about the casque as an intimidation tool to lessen the likelihood of fights between males? We see similar situations with other animals that use size or some other variable in lieu of fighting because of the risks involved with conflict.
There is no evidence
For such function
The trigger of foght is distance and dominant coloration
There is no attention paid to casque

The casques make them so much more beautiful, but it could also increase their body surface area to absorb more uvb more effectively, without needing to have direct sun exposure for longer periods. Also could keep their little brains cooler.
I like that thought, similar to them puffing up to increase surface area for increased absorption. I'm not committed to any theory I just found the topic interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom