Pupating Mealworms

Amanda1801

So - as a result of his 3 week hunger strike, Colin's mealworms are now pupating - are these ok to feed off to him? Any ideas regarding nutrition?

Amanda

my guys never care for the beattles but if you give them a couple of weeks with a beeding of oats and some veggies for moisture youll have 1000s of mealworms!!!:D

My chameleons ate them. The smell of them was disgusting though. I couldn't open their cage without gagging.

Mealworms as larva arent the most nutritious, but okay as an occassional feeder choice. As pupae, they are essentially worthless as feeders. As adults/beetles they can be gutloaded and are an okay feeder, if your chameleon will accept them. Dont offer them too often, as they are not the most nutritious and the hard shell is harder on the digestive system in large quantities.

Mealworms as larva arent the most nutritious, but okay as an occassional feeder choice. As pupae, they are essentially worthless as feeders. As adults/beetles they can be gutloaded and are an okay feeder, if your chameleon will accept them. Dont offer them too often, as they are not the most nutritious and the hard shell is harder on the digestive system in large quantities.

I'd say they are ok to feed off if they start turning into beetles. Like mentioned, they can be gutloaded. Just make sure and tear the wings off which are very hard. :)

Yeah, the only reason I picked them up was because he used to love them and I was trying to get him to eat again - I'll just let them turn into beetles and feed them to the terrapins lol

Back
Top Bottom