Puked..

Twavypoo

Well I came upon this site because I was watching my Chameleon (Godzilla) he was hunting when suddenly He just started to through his mouth around, open wide as can be, and I felt he was just going to freak out and die or something... Then all of the sudden he puked.... I don't know what that means...And then.. He pooped.. Then seemed okay I GUEss... Now he just sitting in his spot.. anyone know??:confused:

Did you examine the vomit and fecal matter?
Was there any kind of foreign material in there (substrate, bark, twig)?

-Brad

Well it just looked like he ate to many crickets..yet he eats them like he is starving... and just thee other day he was hunting on the ground.. I have sand for ground, the calcium supplement:confused:

My R. temp went to eat a small cricket once and didnt take enuff time to chew before she swallowed, about 30 sec later she puked the bug back up and he walked off.. i watched the whole thing happen was realy worryed at first untill i relized the cricket walked off

lol, well that makes me feel a lil better, just kinda worried about him lately though.. To be honest I feel like he is going to die or something...:(

I notice you are a newer member. I am not saying that you didnt do homework but if you want to ease your worries I will put a link on here. Fill it out as best and detailed as possible and post it back up. This way if you are missing something or if someone can suggest a better way you will know if all is good in the husbandry aspect. :ics of your encloure etc. Again not saying your not doing it right just trying to ease the worry. :) https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Last edited:
yes, I understand completely I dont take things like that a rude, but to learn more. yeah please do.

hit the link at the end of my first post. copy in a new post and fill it out. We will be able to see if every thing is tip top.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?

right now I have a 30 gallon fish tank with a added cage at the to(screen)

* Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?

well I have the red light forget if its the uve or what ever, get them mixed up, but I have the heat light and the light that stays on during the day, then MOST of the time i turn it off when I see its getting late..

* Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?

well it sits in my room witch is upstairs, and it gets hot, I cant tell you how hot and his basking area is where the red light is. need to get a thermometer

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?

I couldn't tell you how or what the humidity levels are...

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

I have a real ficus plant in his cage now.and thats it the fakes.. but his main area is that tree.

* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.

He is a Veiled and I think is about 5 months

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

okay, so I feed him mostly crickets, and sometimes meal worms thats about it.. he eats Well okay he was eating about 5 a day, and now he is eating like 10 or more a day, and last night he puked and spit some up, and I dont really know what to feed the crickets I through ledice in there and cat food sometimes..

* Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?

what I use to put on the crickets is called Miner-All I buy the crickets then i put some in the bag and shake it. and put some in the tank

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Well thats another concern, I have a drip system. andI spray the plants once a day.I dont use fosit water. use bottled. but I have never seen him drink water.........:(

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.

his droppings are most of the time blackish brown. but sometimes.. its a yellow dropping too.

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

well I actually just thought of this while I was doing this, I was at the beach and I found a piece of drift wood, Well I didn't do anything to it I just put it in there when I cleaned it..so I don't know if that has anything , but I thought you should know. Another thing is well I found this site because I am worried about him, just thee other day he was trying to climb the piece of drift wood and he fell, maybe cus it was to slick..?? didn't fall far like2 inches but when I seen him fall I didn't know what to do he looked helpless. but he managed to get back up.. And today about an half hour ago he was hunting again on the ground....

* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Thats all I can think of right now...

There are quite a few gaps in your husbandry. Please check out this site that was made by one of the members and change what you need. Variety in food, supplementing correctly, watering, cage type, all need to be improved. I would highly recommend going to a vet and getting him looked over. Falling and being weak is not good. If his urates (white part) are more than 25 percent yellow you should give him a shower. Put plant preferebly fake so it doesnt get the shower dirty or something he can climb on that will catch water. Turn the shower head toward the wall so it doesnt spray directly at him. Use warm not hot not cold water. If he is weak you need to monitor him the whole time so he doesnt fall and drown. Hopefully with a vet visit and some changes in his set up he will get better. Read this site and follow it and you should be good.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the forum!

You said..."he was hunting on the ground.. I have sand for ground, the calcium supplement"...calcisand can cause impaction. I don't recommend using a substrate for arboreal chameleons.

You said..."well I have the red light forget if its the uve or what ever, get them mixed up, but I have the heat light and the light that stays on during the day, then MOST of the time i turn it off when I see its getting late"...you can use a regular household incandescent bulb in a hood for the basking light. You should have a linear/tube UVB light like the Repti-sun 5.0 to provide UVB. Exposure to UVB (without plastic or glass between the light and chameleon) allows the chameleon to produce vitamin D3 which allows it to use the calcium in its system.

Regarding the basking temperature..you need to be in the right range (mid 80's for that age should be fine) so that the chameleon can digest its food properly.

You said..."He is a Veiled and I think is about 5 months"...is it a male for sure?? Does it have tarsal spurs on his back feet?

You said..."I dont really know what to feed the crickets I through ledice in there and cat food sometimes"...lettuce is not a good gutload and cat food has quite a bit of preformed vitamin A. Preformed vitamin A can build up in the system and prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD. I use a wide variety of greens (dandelion, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrot, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, celery leaves, etc.) to gutload the crickets.

You said...."what I use to put on the crickets is called Miner-All I buy the crickets then i put some in the bag and shake it. and put some in the tank"...this has D3 in it. I use a phos.-free calcium powder dusted on the crickets at most feedings. Most feeders we use have a poor ratio of calcium to phos. so this helps to make up for it.

I dust with a vitamin powder twice a month that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Beta carotene can not build up in the system like preformed vitamin A can. However, its not known yet if all species of chameleon can convert beta carotene to vitamin A or not...so to ensure that the chameleon gets some, people often give a little preformed once in a while.

If your chameleon only gets UVB light from the tube light, then you may also want to use your minerall I twice a month or another phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from supplements can also build up in the sustem.

You said..."his droppings are most of the time blackish brown. but sometimes.. its a yellow dropping too"...there should be a brown "sausage-like" feces and a white urate part and maybe some clearish jelly-like fluid. If the urates are yellow it might be that you need to hydrate him better or look at your supplements.

Back
Top Bottom