Puffing up in my presence

Char333p

Avid Member
Just out of curiousity. I know when chams puff up they feel threatened. But how do you know if theyre likely to bite? When they hiss open mouthed?

If he's puffing up I wouldn't even try to handle him. Not for the fear of being bitten but more so as a way of respecting his space. Regardless,t there's been times when cleaning or something that I've had to handle him when he doesn't want to be handled. Usually I just slowly wiggle one finger under him so he stands on it and when I take him out of the cage he's a lot more calm. I remember reading that it takes a lot for them to bite, even after they're opening their mouths at you. But don't take that too serious because I don't even remember what source I got that information from.

If he's puffing up I wouldn't even try to handle him. Not for the fear of being bitten but more so as a way of respecting his space. Regardless,t there's been times when cleaning or something that I've had to handle him when he doesn't want to be handled. Usually I just slowly wiggle one finger under him so he stands on it and when I take him out of the cage he's a lot more calm. I remember reading that it takes a lot for them to bite, even after they're opening their mouths at you. But don't take that too serious because I don't even remember what source I got that information from.

I wasn't even trying to handle him lol, Just trying to make a pole that he was on that kept swooping sideways with him on it. Guess I came in too quick X_X

I wasn't even trying to handle him lol, Just trying to make a pole that he was on that kept swooping sideways with him on it. Guess I came in too quick X_X

Yeah mine easily gets startled too lol. If I'm not mistaken your little one is young like mine right? Maybe they're going through their teen phase or we're just in that weird phase where they don't know if they should trust us yet lol. I think in my case I just got a grumpy one lol. I even changed his old happy colorful name (Skittles) to Mr. Burns because the other name just didn't match his personality :ROFLMAO: He reminds me much more of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons than a bag of sweets!

Yeah mine easily gets startled too lol. If I'm not mistaken your little one is young like mine right? Maybe they're going through their teen phase or we're just in that weird phase where they don't know if they should trust us yet lol. I think in my case I just got a grumpy one lol. I even changed his old happy colorful name (Skittles) to Mr. Burns because the other name just didn't match his personality :ROFLMAO: He reminds me much more of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons than a bag of sweets!

For the most part. My guy is really sweet and curious. But is very hesitant about coming onto my hand or out of enclosure. Hopefully when hes a bit older hell trust me more and move more slowly.. cause now when hes on my hand he bolts up my arm. Only handled him like 3 times. Ive had him since june 20th so still fairly new i suppose. But hes timid if anything not so much mean

I wish they were the type of pet that would know you and trust and allow you to hold for long periods of time... but love em all the same

Guess that's why they say they're a hobby and not really a pet :) It was hard the first couple of weeks because I'm very hands on and curious, but I've learned to love and accept his little temper. I think it's cute and funny now lol. It taught me that as much as I think he's "mine" he's his own little self, and that maybe sometimes he just wants to be left alone. I'm a very introverted person and love alone time, so I more than anyone have to understand him :rolleyes:

Mine is starting to want out more and trust us more (probable because he associates us with butterworm and hornworm treat people). But I will say that his antics and flairs actually made me feel like he was good and healthy to be showing his stuff at me when I walked by. I was like......Good on you little man!

Back
Top Bottom