Pseudomonas aeringuosa – HELP!

Xepera

Can you help me? My 2 year-old veiled male was diagnosed very early stage stomatitis and treated with baytril. This didn’t help and we took a sample from his mouth. Lab test result was Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a very tricky one to get rid of. Now his mouth has been washed with gentamicin solution (aminoglycoside antibiotic) for weeks but he is still not well. In the beginning he had only a little thicker saliva than normal and swollen lips but now I fear that pseudomonas is spreading inside of him. I think I hear a slight crackling noise when he breathes and his neck seems a little swollen (edema).

I have read a lot about the proper care of veileds f.ex. from this forum and there’s nothing to correct in his housing, feeding, supplements or other care. I just need specific information about pseudomonas. What is the next step? How can we get rid of this without damaging his kidneys with too strong antibiotics? I know this bacteria is very tricky but there must be someone there who has experience of this and who’s chameleon has overcome pseudomonas. What antibiotic(s) to use? Gentamicin injections can do great damage to him and we need safer alternatives.

I really don’t want to lose my chameleon, he means the world to me and is a crucial part of our little family.

Where the infected areas cleaned out properly by the vet? Pseudomonas aeruginosa is the most common bacteria found in mouth rot....and it often takes several treatments to get rid of it...unfortunately I can't tell you what other antibiotics work to kill it.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, we went to a very good vet. She didnt see anything in the chameleons mouth apart from a little thicker saliva. I dont think the mouth was washed because there was nothing to remove, she just gave him a cortisone shot and baytril oraly.

P. Aeruginosa is sensitive to gentamicin, it's what we use in humans as well. It's true you have to be very careful with dosing if the cham ingests it, as it will cause kidney damage. In humans, this is one of the few antibiotics that we actually take levels for and adjust accordingly due to its toxicity. Nothing else comes to mind that will treat Pseudomonas.

The problem with gentamicin is that he won't get very much systemic exposure if its only given orally. Most likely he will need an injection to get a hold on the infection as it sounds like it has progressed into some deeper tissue that won't be accessible by oral gentamicin.

Other aminoglycosides like tobramycin and amikacin would work too, but my expertise is in humans and regardless of the choice, kidney toxicity is always a risk. Treating pseudomonas is a nightmare...

I would opt for the gentamicin injected. If the enrofloxacin isn't working (usually it covers pseudomonas pretty well but your guy might have a resistant strain) then you really don't have much choice.

Oops - I forgot about Tobramycin and Amikacin. They weren't quite as common back when I was a practicing pharmacist so I let them slip my mind. It's true though that the gent will have to be injected to get any meaningful tissue levels if it's gone into the tissues. That bug is not easy to treat for sure.

Back
Top Bottom