Proving Panther Locale?

skoram

Established Member
I'm no expert. but based on the large numbers of photos I have seen there seems to be such huge color variations among panthers (supposedly) from the same locale that it would be difficult/nearly impossible to prove a locale claimed by owners or sellers. I've seen Ambilobes that look like Ambanjas, Nosy Bes that look like Nosy Falys and almost everything in between. This "problem" struck home recently when I saw a pair of rare Nosy Mitsios for sale in my area, priced a bit higher than other panthers. The owner of the shop is somewhat well known for trying to price gouge customers. While the male did actually look similar to photos of other Mitsios I have seen on the web (will post some photos later), I realized there was little I could do to "prove" they were actually Mitsios.

Aside from purchasing animals only from well-known sellers with a proven track record of integrity, is there anything else buyers can do to avoid becoming victims of fraud?

I'm no expert. but based on the large numbers of photos I have seen there seems to be such huge color variations among panthers (supposedly) from the same locale that it would be difficult/nearly impossible to prove a locale claimed by owners or sellers. I've seen Ambilobes that look like Ambanjas, Nosy Bes that look like Nosy Falys and almost everything in between. This "problem" struck home recently when I saw a pair of rare Nosy Mitsios for sale in my area, priced a bit higher than other panthers. The owner of the shop is somewhat well known for trying to price gouge customers. While the male did actually look similar to photos of other Mitsios I have seen on the web (will post some photos later), I realized there was little I could do to "prove" they were actually Mitsios.

Aside from purchasing animals only from well-known sellers with a proven track record of integrity, is there anything else buyers can do to avoid becoming victims of fraud?
No there's nothing you can do but buy from a trusted wholesaler or breeder. However, some scientists are working on gene testing wild caught panthers in Madagascar. From early reports it seems there are differences in the DNA profiles of the different locales. Nothing has been published for us normies yet though. Just always buy a chameleon from a trusted breeder.

Back
Top Bottom