Providing Water For Veileds

OK, moving right along... Chameleons separated. Female has a great new home. Male now in a 2x2x48 screen cage. Next up... providing water!

The photo is of the 3 watering options that came with the chameleons. Am interested to know which might be best to use. If my memory serves me, Veiled don’t like misting quite as much as some other species. Am also wondering if they would actually use the “drinking fountain”? I had used a drip bottle like in picture years ago, but wondering what others do? Thanks for ideas! Everyone is so helpful here! Thank you!

Attachments

• 5EC9233F-CC9A-4F52-8F8F-FEC96CDF7CB7.jpeg
    5EC9233F-CC9A-4F52-8F8F-FEC96CDF7CB7.jpeg
    260.3 KB · Views: 175
OK, moving right along... Chameleons separated. Female has a great new home. Male now in a 2x2x48 screen cage. Next up... providing water!

The photo is of the 3 watering options that came with the chameleons. Am interested to know which might be best to use. If my memory serves me, Veiled don’t like misting quite as much as some other species. Am also wondering if they would actually use the “drinking fountain”? I had used a drip bottle like in picture years ago, but wondering what others do? Thanks for ideas! Everyone is so helpful here! Thank you!
Waterfalls are a breeding ground for bacteria and are known for killing chams, even that one, since there isn’t any biological or chemical media in it, only mechanical. Dripper are great as an add on for watering. Automated misters are the best but Zoo Med ReptiRains suck, get preferably a MistKing or at least an Exo Terra Monsoon, or construct your own. Make sure to mist at least 3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each, but preferably for 5 minutes or more. Make sure to mist down the entire cage, and especially the plants, along with gently misting your cham so he can clean out his eyes. A good drainage system is a must!

+1 about what ERKleRose said about the bacteria. Dont throw it away though... they are good for short term use ie. cham is a bit dehydrated or you have a 3 day weekend. After that it should be cleaned with diluted bleach, allowed to dry until no more bleach smell is present then put away. Reptirains are not as good as some other options, but for a veiled it should suffice. Veileds are not as picky about humidity as most chams. I use a dripper 1 time per week to keep them hydrated. Many chams need it every other day. My chams happen to be easy going and will drink whenever I mist them. Many chams refuse to drink in front of their servants.

As a side note... very important. The white part of the poop should be white. Not off white, not white-ish and definitely not orange. If the white is not white, there is a hydration issue. Dont worry about where the white and brown touch, there will be some mixing of color, but the majority of the white.

I'm with the both of them up there about the bacteria in the waterfall, I used to have one and I learned the hard way that waterfalls are NOT good, I would use the dripper, running water seems very appealing to chameleons because they don't detect still water as well but at the same time the humidity needs to be kept up, I would use both the misting system and dripper unless you plan to hand mist. my cham always drinks when I mist and so misting by hand is actually a great way to monitor drinking. you should also give him a 5-10 min mist once a day to ensure they drink til they aren't thirsty.

Note on the '' Veileds don't like being misted''. My little guy used to hate it but has mostly grown used to it now and often seems to enjoy it. Warming the water up to room temp before misting seems to help give them less of a shock when being sprayed. He still has his moments where he'll run away and go a bit darker but he'll do that while drinking from it and cleaning his eyes! Misting is necessary for eye cleaning and keeping humidity up. Dripper is a nice added benefit and as said above, water fountains are a big no no for long term.

I vote for Mist King. Once it is set up you never have to worry about it breaking down like the zoo med reptirain. Only thing you need to worry about is keeping the water reservoir full.

Back
Top Bottom