Prolapse recovery advice

vydalbabi

My 3 1/2 year old male panther chameleon had a rectal prolapse on Thursday night. We got him to the vet Friday morning and they did surgery on him. They put a stitch to keep everything in that should be and allow the things that should come out to come out. They gave him an antibiotic injection and he came home Friday night. The vet wanted him back today to give him fluids. He has been drinking A LOT but refused to eat Thursday or Friday. The vet gave me carnivore care which I mixed with water and syringe fed to him this morning. On my way to get him fluids he threw up the carnivore care. They injected him with fluids and I brought him home. About 5 hours later I finally got him to eat 3 crickets. The vet wants me to take him back tomorrow to give him another fluid injection. My question is .. Is this really needed? The injections really stress him out and he is drinking a lot at home and has started eating. Is it worth it to stress him out to get him those extra fluids? Or would it be better for him to continue his recovery without it? Also he seems to be recovering well in terms of the prolapse. He hasn't pooped yet but he brought out his hemipenes to put out a sperm plug and put them back in normally.

We can't answer your questions. None of us have the information required to assess your chameleon's vital signs, whether he is getting enough to eat and drink, and we certainly cannot say for sure how much stress he can tolerate. Are you certain that you're able to make that call? I would worry less about stressing him and more about fluid levels/hydration. If he drinks quite a bit at home, if will be much better able to heal and recover. Watch the hemipenes and take him in right away if he prolapses again.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks.

Thanks! Yes it does help a lot. I just wasn't sure how much stress plays a part in his health especially at his age. When we left the vet both times his eyes were very sunk in and he gapes. I want to do whatever is best for him but this vet we went to see is new to us since the vet we normally see wasn't in this weekend. And I honestly don't feel as comfortable with him. I asked him if he thinks it's best to put him through surgery and does he think he has a good chance to live because I have no experience with a prolapse and I don't want my cham to suffer. I started to cry and the vet immediately got nervous and just left us to talk to the tech. I will definitively keep taking him in to get his fluids I trust the cham forums community. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom