Prolapse Help

ChameleonAlley

Well, it looks like I have a prolapse situation I need help on. Kermit was mating when I think the female moved away and pulled his entire breeding organ/hemipenis out. I've been putting KY jelly on it, but need some advice. Can or should I try to push it back in?? :( Thanks all.

prolapse.jpg

ouch and during mating too:eek:, hope for the best

but i think i read from one of a forum member's posts that you can help rettract it a little with water mixed with sugar? not sure:eek:

Last edited:
NO SALT! You can use some sugar water, but your absolute best bet is to get him to a Vet pronto. If it remains out it can get infected, or he will try to drag it off on a branch.

NO SALT! You can use some sugar water, but your absolute best bet is to get him to a Vet pronto. If it remains out it can get infected, or he will try to drag it off on a branch.

my bad :eek:

here it is and laurie said this from another post " The best think is very, very cold water, about 2 cup & about 1/2 cup sugar mixed well. If you keep pouring it over the prolapse it helps to shrink it"

Thanks guys!! I'm going to call the vet asap, and get the cold water and sugar going. Has anybody seen them be able to retract prolapse back in??

my bad :eek:

here it is and laurie said this from another post " The best think is very, very cold water, about 2 cup & about 1/2 cup sugar mixed well. If you keep pouring it over the prolapse it helps to shrink it"

Not your bad Ace, you quoted what my vet told me to do until I got the cham to the vet. I does help to shrink it to make putting it back in easier. Good Job.

Thanks guys!! I'm going to call the vet asap, and get the cold water and sugar going. Has anybody seen them be able to retract prolapse back in??

I doubt he can retract that prolapse, just do what you can and hope the vet can see him quickly. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much Laurie!! This is Adrienne, Kevin's wife. He is holding him in the cold sugar water. Do you know how the Vet was able to get it back in? What did he do?

Only if you catch it immediately. I have lost two chams from prolapse. One as recent as a month ago. I was told that powered sugar is the best remedy. Sadly, his time will be limited once the drying process begins. Should that happen, you may want to consider putting him out of his misery ;-(.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you so much for the reply!! I have a Vet appointment at 5 but I'd like to do anything I can in the meantime. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get it back in. I've tried cool water, sugar water, gently pushing it back in. Any ideas? I have an hour and a half until the apt and it's been out for about an hour.

No, he has to do it. The only thing that you can do is keep it WET!!!!!! DO NOT allow it to dry. I would suggest that you mist him until you get to the vet. Hopefully, he inserts it before then.

Unfortunately, my WC chambilobe breeder Sgt. Pepper met his fate due to the same issue :(. Hopefully, your guy recovers. Also, try misting with warm water. That normally generates a pooping response and it may get him going.

Attachments

• Sgt. Pepper Poster Pic4.jpg
    Sgt. Pepper Poster Pic4.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 188
OMG! That is so sad.:( We are freaking out over here for yall. The only thing we know is like every one eles said. The sugar bath, and keeping it wet. Poor guy. I hope the vet will be able to fix it. Let us know as soon as you return from the vet.

OUCH, they have given ya the best thing to do till the vet, goodluck man wishin kermit the best.

Hemipene prolapses don't usually cause the death of a chameleon as long as the chameleon is taken to a vet so that it can be decreased in size and put back in and maybe the chameleon should be put on an antibiotic for a few days. If the chameleon starts to go down hill after that, its possible that a fungal infection has set in...which happens fairly often with intestinal and hemipene prolapses. The hemipene can be amputated if it can't be put back in too. The intestinal prolapses are harder for them to survive.

Back
Top Bottom