Project in the works, looking for assistance

getwitit

OK this is my situation. I just moved into an apartment in San Diego, CA. Own 2 panthers but maybe more in the future. I plan to live here for a few years.
Anyways, the two reptiles will both be on my balcony for something close to year round. The female is in a normal screen cage but my larger male is now in a walk-in(floor to ceiling) screen cage that I just finished making. Pics to come on that. :)
Anyways, my concerns on buying the MistKing set-up keep growing.
First and foremost-DRAINAGE. Draining the female cage is not an issue. It will be up on a table and is a typical aluminum screen cage so all that water can be collected and sent down in a tube to a main drainage tray.
My difficulties are focused on a solution for the walk-in-cage. Among the many plants in there, there are two large and heavy pots with 5' trees.

My goal to do this cage's drainage to my liking, may simply mean that I will have to "raise" the floor of the enclosure which would be a challenge since a tree in a huge pot (heavy) must sit on it. My dream would be to have a large area, probably inside this cage) which collects drainage from not only a day's misting but a day's watering of ALL my plants(which are many haha) in a convenient fashion.

I'm all about the enjoyment of working on solutions for this kind of stuff, and I need someone knowledgeable to help me out and kind of get involved so we can figure out what to do or to bounce some ideas off of. Once you see the size and dimensions of the cage you will probably be able to begin to start wracking your brain like I have.

THEN, there is the whole RO thing. If it goes under my sink, I have no way of sending a line through the door-jam or a window without either shutting properly. Water here is BAD(hard) with lots of heavy metals and I do plan on living here for a bit but I can't be drilling into anything. Is it really necessary I get an RO? I keep asking myself this. btw I don't pay for a water bill in the apt complex!!:D
There IS my water heater which is in a closet ON MY BALCONY but I would have to post some pics of what the cold-out-line looks like to see if I could actually hook up an RO unit in there.

I basically could use the email address of a plumber with RO expertise and a DIY drainage expert. If you think you could take on this challenge with me, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email and toss some blueprints your way.

*sidenote: I was curious if an RO system could fill an "open-top" reservoir automatically or at least use some handy electrician skills and set up a trip to open/close a solenoid valve when the bucket fills and triggers it to close. That would be legit. I saw some threads with a lot of misting going on and I can't imagine their RO unit was manually turned on to fill their reservoir when it got close to empty. I don't have a huge space on the patio so my misting reservoir will prob be a 5gal bucket. 6-7 4 minute mistings with a 24VDC MistKing pump and 3 misting heads. What kind of volume are we talking about for 1 day?

Help me water my plants and animals without watering the patio below me!

Thanks for your help with my endeavors.

Search summoner12's posts! He's got it all worked out! WOW... misting, RO, drainage, even motion activated basking! i If it can be automated, he's got it figured! GO SUMMONER!!

Regarding the RO unit... most come with an adapter to connect to your faucet, but you can pick up a different adapter for about 5 bucks to adapt it to a garden hose output... Youll want a brass/metal.. they have plastic adapter for 2 bucks but they can occasianly start leaking. Also would look into getting a splitter for your outdoor/patio faucet so if you ever want straight tap you dont have to dissconect the RO unit.

Back
Top Bottom