Problems With Chameleons?

Chamified

Ok I got sick the other day and started to develop itchy red dots on my skin after I was through with coughing and sore throat and what not (not hives or chicken pox) and was wondering would this be related with any part of the chameleon. Can it be from the feeeders? All he eats is Dubias most of the time (all of the dubias are small) and occasionally silkworm and hornworms. I do have a cricket cage with which I feed my other reptiles which is cleaned every 2 days. If anybody can get sick or whatever because of a chameleon I would like to know. This is because I am planning on getting another chameleon and do not want anything to get in the way of my health. Anyway thanks!

All I can say is that you will have to go through the same steps used to determine any allergy...keep a record of everything...your symptoms, when they happened, what you ate, where you were and what you were doing when those symptoms occurred. When your symptoms occur, record your possible contact with any of these things and try to see a pattern.

sometimes I have a minor allergic reaction with a couple of my melleri. Mostly when their nails cut into the skin. I am not sure if it is them or not. If I get a scratch from a cat or dog, the same thing happens, but a scratch from a cat or dog is worse than from the cham. I don't cough or choke... The skin rises up and becomes slightly irritated where the skin is broken. It might be a sign that whatever is under the nail of the animal is causing an irritation to your body?

Like Linda said, it might be a good idea to have it checked out and to document when it happens.

sometimes I have a minor allergic reaction with a couple of my melleri. Mostly when their nails cut into the skin. I am not sure if it is them or not. If I get a scratch from a cat or dog, the same thing happens, but a scratch from a cat or dog is worse than from the cham. I don't cough or choke... The skin rises up and becomes slightly irritated where the skin is broken. It might be a sign that whatever is under the nail of the animal is causing an irritation to your body?

Like Linda said, it might be a good idea to have it checked out and to document when it happens.

that usually happens to me when i get a rough scratch from anything but im pretty sure its not an allergic reation, just what happens when humans get scratched. But agreed an alergy test would be recomended

allergies

To the best of my knowledge chams don't carry or produce allergens. Roaches and crickets may cause a reaction directly or indirectly through their dander. Also check to see if it is any of the cleaning products you are using. Crickets produce a lot of ammonia. If you use a bleach solution to clean after them you may be producing small amounts of chlorine gas which can easily cause a reaction. To prevent this, first clean and wipe down the cricket area, then use a bleach solution (very mild like 1-2 tbl to 1 ltr) to sterilize.

I think the most likely culprit are the insects. Despite not stinking, even the roaches poop. Insect poop is considered a leading cause of asthma and allergies.

It's been my experience that I get sort of used to the insects, but when something new is introduced that I'm also allergic to, everything (dogs, insects) bothers me for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom