problems/questions about me panther chameleon's health

geoff135

He is eating like a horse and drinks water from the leaves.

I just got a young adult panther chameleon and, i noticed that when ever i come into the room he seems to be "sleeping" both of his eyes are closed. I was getting ready to feed him and he got startled and opened both of his eyes. I dont know if it is just a result of basking,and they want to close their eyes.

Is it normal for panthers to have their eyes closed alot during the day?

I also noticed that when shooting crickets and etc with his tongue he tends to miss his target alot (more than twice sometimes three times). it almost seems like his tounge is to short. Is that possible?

Im wondering if this is not normal because ive owned 2 other panthers and a veiled and never had them miss the crickets this often?

do u think that there could be some health issues, just wanted to see what people say before shelling out for vet advice.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon- Panther chameleon, male, about 9-10 months old, had him for about 2 weeks.
Handling - once every 2 weeks ish maybe less
Feeding - cricket/ silk worms, about 10-12 crickets a day some times less or more depending on appetite, gut load potatoes/ lettuce, total bites.
Supplements - reptivite with d3 dusted before every feeding.
Watering - misting cage every 4 hours for 30-40 sec. yes he does drink
Fecal Description - looks normal, brown, lumpy, with white thing.
History - got him from a local pet shop.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - its a 2x3x4ft all screen
Lighting - zoo med, UVB, and 25 watt heat, 12 hrs a day on timer.
Temperature - 90-95 in basking, 75 at bottom. 72 lowest temp recorded.
Humidity - about 70-80 with misting and live plant. thermometer and humidity sensor.
Plants - Schefflera
Placement - in my room on top a dresser. celing fan is on time to time. not high traffic barely in my room cuz of classes and work. cage is sitting about 3-4 ft off ground.
Location - gainesville( north florida)
photo-4.jpg

thanks
jeff

I think you should see a vet. That doesn't sound good. Before you do that though, fill out the how to ask for help form in the health clinic section, so we can rule out it being anything that you are doing.

I hope your little guy feels better soon

more info!!

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon- Panther chameleon, male, about 9-10 months old, had him for about 2 weeks.
Handling - once every 2 weeks ish maybe less
Feeding - cricket/ silk worms, about 10-12 crickets a day some times less or more depending on appetite, gut load potatoes/ lettuce, total bites.
Supplements - reptivite with d3 dusted before every feeding.
Watering - misting cage every 4 hours for 30-40 sec. yes he does drink
Fecal Description - looks normal, brown, lumpy, with white thing.
History - got him from a local pet shop.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - its a 2x3x4ft all screen
Lighting - zoo med, UVB, and 25 watt heat, 12 hrs a day on timer.
Temperature - 90-95 in basking, 75 at bottom. 72 lowest temp recorded.
Humidity - about 70-80 with misting and live plant. thermometer and humidity sensor.
Plants - scaliferria
Placement - in my room on top a dresser. celing fan is on time to time. not high traffic barely in my room cuz of classes and work. cage is sitting about 3-4 ft off ground.
Location - gainesville( north florida)

You say your dusting him with calcium D3 every feeding; this could be over supplementing your cham causing health issues. You should dust with calcium powder without D3 for everyday feeding and then with D3 everyother week (twice a month).
:)

no, it is NOT normal that they have their eyes closed during the day.

Nor is it normal to not be able to catch food easily with tongue (the occassional miss is okay, but not repeatedly)
Did the tongue issue come on suddenly since you got him, or has it always been that way? Did the pet shop not inform you of this problem at time of sale?
Info regarding tongue issues:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/232-tongue-troubles.html

If he has always been this way since you got him, You should consider taking him back, if possible, if you havent become too attached already. the problems are hopefully easily reversed, but its possible that long-term damage is already done, depending how they cared for him and the cause of the issues.

A vet appointment (with a vet familiar with chameleons) is never a bad plan, but it can be expensive. The pet shop, if its a good one, may offer to pay for half the expense and treatment.

Your gutloading and supplement regime needs improvement. But two weeks is not enough to have caused serious issues.

I'd consider reducing the reptivite to once or twice a week only, and use a vitamin and phosphorous free calcium/mineral powder lightly dusted the rest of the time you offer crickets. More info on supplements: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/65-supplements.html

Info on gutloading:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...just-crickets-roaches-gutload-everything.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/697-dry-gutload-mix-august-2012.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/659-green-leafy-goodness-gutloading.html

Did the tongue issue come on suddenly since you got him, or has it always been that way?

the tongue comes out just fine, its the length im confused about, when i first got him i noticed that he had trouble hitting the crickets and it would take him 3-4 tries on some and hit others, but i noticed that they had to be pretty close about 3-4 inches away. it seems like the reason he missed is that the tongue isnt its full length.

Did the pet shop not inform you of this problem at time of sale?
pet shop said he was healthy and good to go, but im starting to think there are some underlying health problems

I posted a pic, when i feed him tomorrow ill try and get a video of him eating

the tongue comes out just fine, its the length im confused about, when i first got him i noticed that he had trouble hitting the crickets and it would take him 3-4 tries on some and hit others, but i noticed that they had to be pretty close about 3-4 inches away. it seems like the reason he missed is that the tongue isnt its full length.

Unlikely that its anything but normal length. Failure to fully extend the tongue often goes along with "missing" the target.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/232-tongue-troubles.html

Do you know how they gutloaded, what prey they offered and what supplements they used at the pet shop?

pet shop said he was healthy and good to go, but im starting to think there are some underlying health problems
Clearly he is NOT in good health, if he misses his prey and often has his eyes closed. So if you got him this way, the pet store sold you an animal NOT in top health. Either dishonestly, or because they havent much chameleon knowledge

the pet shop got the cham on a trade in. so they only had him for about a month or so

do you think that if i start gut loading correctly and feeding him a better balanced diet he will get better?

the pet shop got the cham on a trade in. so they only had him for about a month or so

do you think that if i start gut loading correctly and feeding him a better balanced diet he will get better?

He may, but there is also the risk he could just get worse and you will have to pay to go to a vet. By then the store may not take him back. But read up on the links posted, and don't give the d3 for at least a month. Get a plain phosphorus and D3 free calcium, and a multivitamin and give the plain calcium every feeding, d3 2 times a month, and the multivitamin 1-2 times a month. Use your own judgement though, depending on how you are gutloading and if you take him out into the natural sun. if you are able to take him outside into the sun frequently you may not need to give D3 at all, if you can do it at least once a week you may only need to give the D3 once a month. Get my drift?

good chance of it, IF that was the source of the problem
its a risk though

Back
Top Bottom