Prepping to get my first chameleon

It’s like the uvb represents the visual light (along with uvb) and the basking bulb represents where there’s visibly more sun, therefore making a hot spot to bask in

Also, should I get a thermostat to turn the heat bulb on/off based on temp? Or is it safe to let it run for 12 hours a day?

Also, should I get a thermostat to turn the heat bulb on/off based on temp? Or is it safe to let it run for 12 hours a day?
Get a temp gun and measure temp for the appropriate wattage bulb, so there’s always heat to bask and digest food

Ok, I bought 100w ceramics, which may be replaced with incandescent bulbs once I get some input. If that is the case I will start with 100w, measure temp after a few hours, if too hot, step down to 75w, repeat.

I just did some searching and found someone else said the same thing you did. I will go with an actual light instead of the ceramic, which I think will be good to light up the enclosure a little more.

I may end up putting a ceramic bulb somewhere on a dimmer switch if it gets too cold during the winter months, just to maintain comfort.

For the ceramic heat emitter, those things can input a lot of heat. I have a thermostat if you want to buy it, it is in the classifieds. I don't know if ceramic heat emitters can be that unpredictable, but it's your call, see what others recommend.

Yeah, that is the idea, but the heat is still centralized to the immediate area.
Well yes of course, but my point is that the OP's chameleon might struggle to find a comfortable temperature gradient in the "canopy". I don't know, because I don't own a CHE, but that is what is looks like.

I have a 25 watt ceramic heat emitter at night in one corner of the cage, so if my little guys are cold, it’s not too much heat and only in one area (we keep our house in the mid 60’s at might).

Based on what you guys are saying, I will go with the UVB fluorescent bulb up top, along with a basking light for heat. Regarding bulbs for light+heat, do I used a standard 100w bulb, or do I need a specific type?

My house does get a little chilly in the winter, I may need to set up a ceramic bulb just to maintain adequate temps.

Based on what you guys are saying, I will go with the UVB fluorescent bulb up top, along with a basking light for heat. Regarding bulbs for light+heat, do I used a standard 100w bulb, or do I need a specific type?

My house does get a little chilly in the winter, I may need to set up a ceramic bulb just to maintain adequate temps.
A regular incandescent heat bulb from the hardware store will do, play with the wattages until you get the right temp.

That's why CHE's are good at night, they provide a warm area all around, not like centralized basking I don't think.

Most of my stuff came in today and I am starting to build. I went to 4 different stores today looking for an umbrella tree but was unsuccessful and ended up getting a pothos plant to hold me over. Does anyone know of any online retailers where I can find a 3-3.5 foot tre
IMG_20181013_124455.jpg
e?
open

Last edited:
The basking is a centralized heat and light. Maybe someone else can chime in
I use CHEs in all my vivs, they work just fine. The only advantage using a light bulb is it gives your Cham an area to identify and associate with basking. They essentially see it as the sun and dill try to get closer to it to bask. CHEs don’t provide chams with these visual ques but work just as well.

@RyanBRZ a 100w bulb sounds like an awful lot... definitely use your thermometer to check basking temperatures. For my enclosure a 75w bulb provides the proper basking temp and my cham still "gapes" sometimes and scares me. I remember trying out a 100w bulb once and it was WAY too hot and I took it out immediately. Even with cold winter temps I can't imagine that the 100w bulb will work for my situation. Just use a thermometer, a temperature gun is ideal, and make sure the basking temp is appropriate for your chameleon's species and age! Do your research!

@RyanBRZ a 100w bulb sounds like an awful lot... definitely use your thermometer to check basking temperatures. For my enclosure a 75w bulb provides the proper basking temp and my cham still "gapes" sometimes and scares me. I remember trying out a 100w bulb once and it was WAY too hot and I took it out immediately. Even with cold winter temps I can't imagine that the 100w bulb will work for my situation. Just use a thermometer, a temperature gun is ideal, and make sure the basking temp is appropriate for your chameleon's species and age! Do your research!
The fixture has a dimmer, i could always turn it down based on how hot it gets. Or would it be better to switch to 75. It hasnt shipped yet from Amazon

@RyanBRZ Like others touched on, you do need to offer a basking spot all day to your cham. So as long as it isn't getting so hot that the dimmer is basically turning the bulb off or super dim for a lot of the time, then maybe it'll be okay...but still your cham might not like it.

Yes, chams see UVB as sunlight, but even the basking bulbs provide part of the electromagnetic spectrum that they can see, just like we can, and it is a source of light for them that they recognize, and like, so maybe it's something you just play with and monitor VERY closely when you get your cham. When I say monitor, I mean check the actual temperature of the basking spot and the spots where your cham is hanging out every hour or so, as well as monitor the behavior and colors of your cham, and continue to do more research.

Back
Top Bottom