Prepping to get my first chameleon

I don't know if there's an answer to the "most common basking bulb," but I have read that a lot of people get plenty of heat from a regular 60w bulb, like one you'd put in a regular lamp or household light fixture. I tried one though and couldn't get it warm enough so I upped it to a 75w and it is perfect for my setup. There is definitely a little troubleshooting with the basking bulbs, from my experience and from my research.

Thanks for the input. It can get a little chilly in my room so with winter coming i think I'll stick with the 100w and monitor. I have the option to turn down the wattage via the dimmer so i can tune it as needed.

Thanks for the input. It can get a little chilly in my room so with winter coming i think I'll stick with the 100w and monitor. I have the option to turn down the wattage via the dimmer so i can tune it as needed.

It's whatever works for you. I personally also have 100w basking bulb as my apartment gets very chilly and my temps are perfect. I tried a 75w bulb and my Cham didn't like it one bit, switched back to 100w and he was happy again.

All depends on what temperatures your room is really, there is no set rule it's just a case of trial and error.

60w and 75w are most common but only you can figure out which one is best for you. Invest in a temp gun!
66E9132F-F6CA-4482-9854-307EF458FF1D.png

It’s like the uvb represents the visual light (along with uvb) and the basking bulb represents where there’s visibly more sun, therefore making a hot spot to bask in

I use CHEs in all my vivs, they work just fine. The only advantage using a light bulb is it gives your Cham an area to identify and associate with basking. They essentially see it as the sun and dill try to get closer to it to bask. CHEs don’t provide chams with these visual ques but work just as well.
@Brodybreaux25 I clarified in a later post, thanks for adding more info!

Went to 5 different plant nursery's today and struck out.. Trying to find a dwarf umbrella plant that is approx 3 feet tall. I found a 3.5 foot money tree that I almost bought but thought the umbrella would be better. I read that the branches are not strong enough to climb on so they are not ideal.

Also having a hard time finding a cham. It looks like every panther breeder has no males.

Went to 5 different plant nursery's today and struck out.. Trying to find a dwarf umbrella plant that is approx 3 feet tall. I found a 3.5 foot money tree that I almost bought but thought the umbrella would be better. I read that the branches are not strong enough to climb on so they are not ideal.

Also having a hard time finding a cham. It looks like every panther breeder has no males.
What kind you looking for?

Got some more bamboo and 2 vines laid out. I have a thicker 9 foot vine coming in on tomorrow. I plan to have my mister in the top left corner with a Pothos either dead center or off to the left. Basking light will be top right. Trying to find a dwarf umbrella plant for the floor but after going to 6 places I had no luck. Only was able to find a ficus and money tree.

What do you guys think? I think it looks a little busy, not sure if I should go a different direction with the vines. I think the cham will like it since there will be a lot of climbing available.

IMG_20181014_165930.jpg

I planned on getting the mist king system setup today but realized I do not have a 9/16 bit for drilling a hole in the res bucket and I do not have the nozzle corner piece and Im too lazy to make one. I ordered both and they will be here on Tuesday. Bought that black container below the cage today at home depot. Was hoping to find wire racks but I couldnt find them. The cage hangs off 1-2" on the front and back but I think it's fine. May cut holes in the bottom plastic/rubber piece to allow water to fall into the container. Should I put a substrate on the floor?

Here's where I am at now. Remaining work to be done is install basking and UVB light & timer, misting system, find a small tree, and lastly find a chameleon.

Do you guys think from a vine and plant perspective a chameleon would be comfortable in here? If no what else should I do? Another pothos or get some fake leaves?

IMG_20181014_202052.jpg

Last edited:
I planned on getting the mist king system setup today but realized I do not have a 9/16 bit for drilling a hole in the res bucket and I do not have the nozzle corner piece and Im too lazy to make one. I ordered both and they will be here on Tuesday. Bought that black container below the cage today at home depot. Was hoping to find wire racks but I couldnt find them. The cage hangs off 1-2" on the front and back but I think it's fine. May cut holes in the bottom plastic/rubber piece to allow water to fall into the container. Should I put a substrate on the floor?

Here's where I am at now. Remaining work to be done is install basking and UVB light & timer, misting system, find a small tree, and lastly find a chameleon.

Do you guys think from a vine and plant perspective a chameleon would be comfortable in here? If no what else should I do? Another pothos or get some fake leaves?

View attachment 215750
Substrate only if it’s bioactive and you don’t have a veiled, more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere, and more plant (real or fake) cover

Substrate only if it’s bioactive and you don’t have a veiled, more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere, and more plant (real or fake) cover

I'd prefer no substrate honestly, I think from a cleaning perspective it will be easier, plus no risk of ingestion.

I just ordered a 24"-30" dwarf umbrella and I am going to get another pothos. I have an 8 foot vine coming in tomorrow and I may put in some horizontal bamboo. I'm hoping to avoid fake plants but we will see how it looks once I add those 2 plants.

Starting to get chilly here in NJ, hoping I can find a chameleon to have it shipped before it gets too cold.

Back
Top Bottom