Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

Not much has changed from the previous photos. I'll likely do some "last minute" adjustments tonight and make sure the mist system is still functioning properly. I'm considering filling the bottom of the enclosure with pothos vines as some of the gaps in the floor are rather large.
The flooring is essentially what is bothering me.
Awesome !!. I had to add a bunch to Septiceye's he was doing some crazy Jumping . I was worried he would hurt him self .

The reputable breeder in this case is FL Chams, one of the most recommend breeders for chameleons I've seen. I'll call and ask him about it after work today and get his input. It would be UPS if that makes any difference. I figure he knows the shipping procedure very well at this point and would likely be hesitant to ship if there was a foreseen issue, though things can happen at anytime.

I'd hate to have to wait as I honestly do not have the means to accept him in another day, unless I choose not to be home when he arrives, which I would hate to do and am unsure if this is even possible. If this is the case, it may be about a month until I have the availability to be home to receive him.

Well, my last two came from the Kammer's, chameleonsonly and I know they don't ship on Thursday. I would never ship one of my babies on Thursday. I have seen to many things happen to them .

Well, my last two came from the Kammer's, chameleonsonly and I know they don't ship on Thursday. I would never ship one of my babies on Thursday. I have seen to many things happen to them .

I'm glad to know, thank you for your input
I will discuss this with FL Chams by phone tonight and try and make a decision on this. I don't want a little guy sitting at a post office over the weekend.

I ordered a male blue sub-adult veiled from FL Chams last Friday based on the pictures from their website. I have never been able to get an answer when I call. Their voice message says you will get an answer quicker by texting. I also ordered a 2 X 2 X 4 cage and a Mist king system. The Mist King will arrive Friday (coming from Canada). They are holding the cham until cage is set up. No word when cage will be sent ... and no response to my texts. I guess I just have to be patient.

I have a voicemail, text, and email to FL Chams and have not heard back. I've read that sometimes he'll travel for conventions, but there's no note of this anywhere on the site.

On the plus side I solved my floor/drain issue. Shelf liner! It's checkered with small holes to allow water to pass, but not so large that feeders can easily get through. It's rubber so it's water resistant, and cuts to size.

I also finally picked up a jungle vine.

I'm working on installing both these things now and will post photos after

1501727741782408008978.jpg IMAG4050.jpg IMAG4054.jpg IMAG4053.jpg IMAG4052.jpg

It's hard to see the vine, but it coils through the hibiscus and goes up to the basking area.

I ran the mist the entire time I was setting it up to make sure that drain system works and I'm very very pleased with the results. I am so glad I thought of that.

There's a layer of shelf liner underneath the enclosure, on top of the shelf, and a layer inside the enclosure on top of the layer underneath it. Drains perfectly

It's hard to see the vine, but it coils through the hibiscus and goes up to the basking area.

I ran the mist the entire time I was setting it up to make sure that drain system works and I'm very very pleased with the results. I am so glad I thought of that.

There's a layer of shelf liner underneath the enclosure, on top of the shelf, and a layer inside the enclosure on top of the layer underneath it. Drains perfectly
Awesome , how is the hibiscus doing since you moved the enclosure ?

So first of all congratulations on starting the most trendy thread ever! lol ....but for real your enclosure looks great and will provide a fantastic home for your new friend for several months. It's really awesome to see someone put so much time money and effort into a home for there animal b4 even picking it out.This really shows wat a great and dedicated Cham parent you're going to be...can't wait to see your new bby (y)

So first of all congratulations on starting the most trendy thread ever! lol ....but for real your enclosure looks great and will provide a fantastic home for your new friend for several months. It's really awesome to see someone put so much time money and effort into a home for there animal b4 even picking it out.This really shows wat a great and dedicated Cham parent you're going to be...can't wait to see your new bby (y)

Thank you!
I had absolutely no intention of this thread becoming so large, but I am very grateful for all the help and input ive gotten from everyone over this past month.

I feel truly ready now for the new baby and can't wait to see him enjoy his new home :) I'll likely have to test the temp of the basking spot again since I just moved everything around, but I doubt it's much different. Everything is basically back to how I had it

Good luck Traildrifter! You definitely put in the effort. You deserve a good outcome this time.
I am getting some Panthers this fall, but will probably be getting a male veiled as well. FLchams is in the running for that. Please keep us up to speed on how that transaction plays out.

Thank you!
I had absolutely no intention of this thread becoming so large, but I am very grateful for all the help and input ive gotten from everyone over this past month.

I feel truly ready now for the new baby and can't wait to see him enjoy his new home :) I'll likely have to test the temp of the basking spot again since I just moved everything around, but I doubt it's much different. Everything is basically back to how I had it
So I had no clue wat all u have been thru I read the first few pages and the last few then after I posted I went back and read some of the middle and it was absolutely Hart breaking!!! I'm so sorry for your losses man. To hell with pet stores it Should be illegal for them to sell exotic pets.but on a positive note I'm convinced you will have great success with the next one(y)

I just wanted to say I am so happy you are getting a new family member again! I know it has not been easy and it feels like a roller coaster but your new little dude is going to be living the high life with you:)

Also a quick note on FL Chams, I just ordered from them and received my new guy last week. I had the best luck communicating with them via text. Also I am not sure what size you have or will be ordering but I ordered a baby from the naval line and he was tiny, healthy but little. I was thinking he would be bigger so I had to do some scrambling to find tiny feeders. We got him in on Tuesday and today was the first time he was a nice calm green as he has been blackish with fear the last week;) ,

Super excited for you(y)

Thanks everyone :) I'm very excited for my new little addition. I'm going with a juvi male. I figure a little older is a good idea based on my past experiences.. I'm prepared with tiny feeders just in case though. Stuff I had ordered for Mamool, like the baby superworms and I've always got nymph roaches.

Jaja and Mamool will always remain in my heart, they were so sweet and so adorable. I know this new arrival will hold a very special place in my heart, as well. Hopefully his ability to thrive will give them justice

Thanks everyone :) I'm very excited for my new little addition. I'm going with a juvi male. I figure a little older is a good idea based on my past experiences.. I'm prepared with tiny feeders just in case though. Stuff I had ordered for Mamool, like the baby superworms and I've always got nymph roaches.

Jaja and Mamool will always remain in my heart, they were so sweet and so adorable. I know this new arrival will hold a very special place in my heart, as well. Hopefully his ability to thrive will give them justice
I love that you buried the babies under the flowers . Every time they bloom it's a reminder of their beauty , and their life . I know that's odd but to me it's a symbol of how much you loved them . You will see their Beauty year after year .

I'm also so very happy you are not giving up , their to special and your an awesome keeper . Please post pics as soon as he comes . Did you figure that out ? I know there has not been Communication grrrr .

I actually texted again this morning and he replied almost immediately.

The order is placed and he is shipping him today for arrival tomorrow. I do have concerns that were brought up about being held over the weekend, but while there are a couple cases of this happening, they were not directly associated with FL Chams or UPS, and just like bad reviews, people are more likely to vent about what goes wrong than what goes right. I'm willing to chance that this is an uncommon issue and trust FL Chams and UPS :) hopefully my trust is not misplaced.

Yup JaJa and Mamool are both under flowers. Matching flowers no less. I'm unsure what the flower is called, but they are perennials and will return yearly with their beauty. I still cry thinking about those poor little girls. They were so innocent.

Back
Top Bottom