Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

I've heard stuff about the coil uvb, but I think in the long run I'll probably upgrade to an Arcadia bulb, anyway. Both my dragons use one and have no issues :) I'll watch for eye issues, and probably upgrade after around a year, when it needs replacement, or as soon as I see any health or eye issues
You he arcadias are good for a year if you go with that brand you will need to change at 6 months .

I keep superworms on hand for my big beardie, and I've tried silkworms, wax worms, and they unfortunately did not like the hornworms. Even my Pacman frog wouldn't eat one :/ but no, I like to mix up the diet and rely on dubia as staple

You he arcadias are good for a year if you go with that brand you will need to change at 6 months .
That made no sense lol the Arcadias that was . I'm at the movies with my Hubby watching transformers :rolleyes:. Our son was supposed to go last min Hunter decided to go to my brothers to hang with his cousin so I got the pleaser lol o_O.

I keep superworms on hand for my big beardie, and I've tried silkworms, wax worms, and they unfortunately did not like the hornworms. Even my Pacman frog wouldn't eat one :/ but no, I like to mix up the diet and rely on dubia as staple
Awesome !!. The Pacman eats the same as beardies ? I don't know a whole lot about pecman . Only water frogs . Though we did not have a lot of luck . They kept escaping .

Yeah Pacman frogs eat basically the same stuff, minus veggies. Same time about mealworms, too.

I've seen mealworms suggested as an option for chameleons; are they not an impaction risk with them? I'd still prefer not to buy them, but I'm curious.

Yeah Pacman frogs eat basically the same stuff, minus veggies. Same time about mealworms, too.

I've seen mealworms suggested as an option for chameleons; are they not an impaction risk with them? I'd still prefer not to buy them, but I'm curious.
They don't gut load so their for no nutritional value , yes their concern with impaction . I personally do not use them .

Thank you Frances is a Grumpy little beauty . She has tons of attitude. She's a little spit fire !!. Our little boy Septiceye could not be more different he is a lover no question he is super social @Matt Vanilla Gorilla make sure of that . He's a little love and I think he has eyes for Frances lol . Septiceye is a panther.

@CharlieCharmingo is correct the babies rule . All our babies do what they want lol !!. Have us wrapped around their beautiful little grabby feet !!.

Our beardie boys are not housed in the same room as Frances and Septiceye but they are seen by the chameleon daily and have no prob . Also I know @CharlieCharmingo beardies and Tony are often see by each other . I really believe it's what they are used too .

The plants will be fantastic in there !!. Your new baby will love his/her condo . Do you have a grow bulb ? You can use branches from out side they work fantastic.

This is true. I know some beardies and chameleons can't stand each other, but I introduced Tony to them when they were so small and unthreatening. As they started to get bigger I put a sheet over one side of Tony's cage so they can't see each other and i put a sheet between the beardies enclosures so they can't see each other either. For the most part they all get along fine. The only time the beardies have a problem with Tony is when they see him eating or walking around while they're confined. They get dead still and watch him eat in what i can only assume is amazement. And Tony usually doesn't have a problem with them unless they start to move really quickly (which is usually when I'm holding them and passing by his cage to put them back). He'll puff up and gap a little just to be like watch yourself but overall they don't mind each other because of the high road low road situation.
Today in the living room Tony was passing by from the kitchen while Jane was in the living room watching tv on the floor (literally lol) and he passed right by her. Mind you I was standing in between them in case I had to intervene but all she did was cock her head and watch him. He did the same with one of his eyes but never engaged her just went on back to his "room" (my room where his cage is) and that was that. Junior is the one that has to be watched. He's the youngest and a spaz. Thinks everything he licks belongs to him. Idk. Just thought I add my two cents in case you were worried about having beardies and a new chameleon. It was very stressful for me, but we're all coping lol.

Oh and by introduced i mean while he would be up somewhere high like the curtains or his plants in the living room I would bring them out and put them on my lap while I watched tv or let them run around the couch or something so he could see them and know they exist. Not like set them all together and said "Tony this is Jane and Junior they're you're new siblings you normally in the wild A social animal. Be nice."

Oh and by introduced i mean while he would be up somewhere high like the curtains or his plants in the living room I would bring them out and put them on my lap while I watched tv or let them run around the couch or something so he could see them and know they exist. Not like set them all together and said "Tony this is Jane and Junior they're you're new siblings you normally in the wild A social animal. Be nice."
Yup I hear you . Brad our beardie baby is a spaz too . He loves watching tv . He's fascinated with Septiceye. He never even cares what Frances is doing .

Yup I hear you . Brad our beardie baby is a spaz too . He loves watching tv . He's fascinated with Septiceye. He never even cares what Frances is doing .

That's funny. When Junior was much smaller he was obsessed with the oscar fish Helen. He would run to where she was and then just sit and watch her swim. I think he thought she was a water bearded dragon lol because she's an albino oscar so they're about the same color. Either that or he wanted to take swimming lessons haha.

That's funny. When Junior was much smaller he was obsessed with the oscar fish Helen. He would run to where she was and then just sit and watch her swim. I think he thought she was a water bearded dragon lol because she's an albino oscar so they're about the same color. Either that or he wanted to take swimming lessons haha.
That's really funny !!. Septiceye did not know what to think about the beardies when he first came . Frances just looks at them like all you boys are ridiculous :rolleyes:.

IMAG3697.jpg IMAG3699.jpg

Coming together!
I'll be making some more horizontal rails and of course the hibiscus is still missing, but I found the dome fixture and put a 40w incandescent bulb in there to test the basking area.

Back
Top Bottom