Preparing for my first chameleon, tips appreciated

Hey, I'm no expert, but recently have been putting together everything I've learned from the greater minds here and from a couple books.

Straight eco earth wouldn't be a good idea(from what I gatherered). But to start, are you planting straight into the substrate? I know @Extensionofgreen isn't around atm, but I put my stuff together based off his epic parsonii build. What are your goals for the substrate?

Honestly was just looking to do something natural and appealing that could assist with drainage. My Pacman frog hangs out in eco earth so I'm familiar with it and it holds moisture very well

Well I was recommended sunshine mix #4, cover that with leaf litter, add some springtails and isopods... You'd be set. You could do a false bottom with Hydroballs or something similar like what the dart keepers do.

Well I was recommended sunshine mix #4, cover that with leaf litter, add some springtails and isopods... You'd be set. You could do a false bottom with Hydroballs or something similar like what the dart keepers do.
I recommend that as well. Sunshine mix can be expensive, but it has everything you need for a bioactive setup. Bio activity is a very interesting and useful concept that I wish more cham owners were into!

I'm hoping the pothos clippings go crazy and I can use them to drape around the branches.
I'll have to see about adding a dracaena as I could not find a ficus anywhere.
I wouldn't expect a ton of explosive growth out of pothos cuttings. They grow fine, but I took a coleus cutting about a month after a pothos cutting was taken. The coleus has grown more so far that the pothos. Both of them are under the same growth light. Established pothos grows like a weed though!

Thanks for all the tips regarding the substrate! Definitely something to consider, and since I have nothing set up yet it would be the best time.

And yeah my pothos is 3 years old and looks like a tentacle monster, but it's been years. The clippings in my Pacman frog enclosure are really grown up from what they were but it's been months. The clippings I did take are quite long, and there are plenty more from the source I could take

Welcome to the forums. It's good you're trying to plan ahead before you purchased. Bigger is always better, but I'm not to knowledgeable on veiled chameleons, but if sizing requirements are the same for the enclosures as panthers if you plan on getting a male you might want to get a 24x34x48 since adult males usually require bigger enclosures and the 16x16x36 are usually adequate enough for females. You always want to go bigger first so you don't have to purchase another enclosure after a year so it saves you money. But like I said maybe someone More knowledgeable on veileds than me can tell you since I'm more into panther chameleons myself.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of replies, but it's in the original post I'm looking to go veiled. Have not decided on male or female yet
I most definitely recommend a male from flchams! I got my Clay from their Naval bloodline and he is showing some awesome colors for his age!

Attachments

• IMG_2492.JPG
    IMG_2492.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 238
Haha, no prob, I threw a lot of information out on my first post.

He's adorable! I was checking out FLchams the other day and saw how beautiful Naval was. Is there any fun benefit to one gender versus the other? Besides the egg laying and possibility of health concerns with that

He's adorable! I was checking out FLchams the other day and saw how beautiful Naval was. Is there any fun benefit to one gender versus the other? Besides the egg laying and possibility of health concerns with that
Thanks! Females are never really as showy as males unless you show them a male as far as I know. If you don't plan on breeding chams and just want one for show, I would recommend a male as they don't lay eggs (obviously) don't need a special diet for eggs, and typically are the one to show the most colors.

That makes sense :) I have a male and female bearded dragon, no intent on breeding, and the male is definitely all personality and a showoff.

I was considering male, but the idea of a little female one sounds pretty cute, but I'll have to put more thought on that. I actually thought about asking on that sooner but figured I'd wait closer to when I'm ready

Usually it's for health benefits. If you never had a chameleon first go for a male as your first. It'll be more colorful, more hardy, and you won't have to deal with gravid females. I may be biased here, but you should think about getting a panther chameleon. You seem like you're pretty set up and know how to research, but from what I've read in the past comparing the 2 i believe you might get a more enjoyable experience with a panther, they have so many more color morphs, their temperament and demeanor are usually a lot more calm than veileds so you have less of a chance of getting an a**hole. Don't get me wrong I've seen some a**hole panthers in my time, but more so on the veileds, but I've also seen some pretty cool veileds also. But like I said I may be biased and I've seen a lot of people pick up veileds because they're a lot cheaper and just treat them as throw away pets and never take care of them properly, but you seem to know what you're doing and not some penny pincher that won't take care of them properly and I'm sure if you decide to get a veiled you'll do okay with it. I hope you find one that you really like. I know I got real lucky with our first panther being as cool as he is.

Haha, thanks. I've considered panthers as well, being so cool and colorful, but I think I'm pretty set on a veiled for now. Yes, they're the more common and "disposable" one, but the amount of money I spend on them won't change the attention and care I give to them, unfortunately for the general population this may differ.
I'm sure temperament is largely based off of interaction with the animal, and I interact with my animals many times daily, so hopefully that should offset any moodiness.

Regarding gender, I do see males coming off as the easier of the two due to eggs. I thought about getting another male beardie after my oldest succumbed to cancer (female, she showed symptoms of being gravid up until it was confirmed as cancer) but loved the idea of another little girl. Perhaps it's best not to have two female lizards so I'm not doing double gravid, though...

Back
Top Bottom