Powersun UVB heat bulbs

Hi. I asked this question yesterday and got an equal amount of yeses and no's... :cool: I did get one but have only been using is for 24 hours so far, I did have to back it away from the cage a few inches to get the temps right, but I was doing that with the basking bulb before. I wish you luck.
Sarah
1.0 nosy be 1.0 veiled

Hi. I asked this question yesterday and got an equal amount of yeses and no's... :cool: I did get one but have only been using is for 24 hours so far, I did have to back it away from the cage a few inches to get the temps right, but I was doing that with the basking bulb before. I wish you luck.
Sarah
1.0 nosy be 1.0 veiled

Really? What size cages do you have?

I personally do not like them. The more you move the bulb away from the cage the less uv is getting to the chameleon. If using one I always say use a strip uv alongside it on top of the cage so the animal can bask in uv only if it wants. The chameleon does not always want heat and uv.

No need to use a special heat bulb for basking. Use a standard household incandescent bulb for heat/basking light. Then use a linear UVB light from Arcadia (The 6% one is more than enough UVB).

I personally don't like them either. This isn't a scientific study or anything, of course, and you have to take anecdotal advice with a grain of salt, but when I worked at a pet store this was the bulb we used for our veileds. When we used them on our babies (3-5 months) we had rampant eye issues, where many individuals would keep their eyes closed. And we're talking about 20-30 baby veileds in each batch, not just a handful. When I convinced the store to switch over to Reptisun 10.0s the eye issues stopped completely. The adults were fine, but I feel that perhaps for young veileds there was something very intense about these lights. So I never recommended them to anyone buying a young chameleon, personally.

The two separate lights end up being a better and cheaper option, in the end.

Back
Top Bottom