powersun uv

swick

Any thoughts out there on the zoom med powersun uv light? 100w? the bos says its a mercury vapor that provides uva, uvb, liigt, and heat all in one lamp. Thanks.
Sarah

Not great really unless in a free range where the animal can move away from it. Thy produce a lot of heat which means they have to be quite far from the cage which means less uv in the cage as the uv power decreases with distance. People say the produce lots of uv and sometimes too much but they really do not.

I would stick to a basking bulb and uv strip. Then you can play around with heat bulb wattages to get the temperature you want.

Agree. On the surface this lamp sounds simple and just what you would want, but it's not that easy. They can be TOO intense for a moderate climate (as opposed to a terrestrial desert species that needs triple digit temps) arboreal species in a confined space like a cham cage. And, these are pretty expensive touchy bulbs sometimes. You can provide heat, light, and UV with a simple house light bulb in combination with a fluorescent tube like a ReptiSun 5.0.

They are excellent for panther chameleons, veiled chameleons, and similar large species that not only tolerate warmer temps but seek them out. These larger species also require larger cages which allow for the heat to dissipate and accommodate the needed heat gradient.

For smaller or more delicate species, they may not be the best fit, but I have helped numerous customers with veileds and panthers that have done extremely well under these lights.

-Jen

I use a few Mega Rays (which are similar) over some free ranges but I personally would not recommend them on a cage. They put off too much heat.

They are excellent for panther chameleons, veiled chameleons, and similar large species that not only tolerate warmer temps but seek them out. These larger species also require larger cages which allow for the heat to dissipate and accommodate the needed heat gradient.

For smaller or more delicate species, they may not be the best fit, but I have helped numerous customers with veileds and panthers that have done extremely well under these lights.

-Jen

Exactly...if you choose to use them for appropriate species they can be OK...just make sure you monitor what temps your cham is actually exposed to in your particular setup. Because I have montane species I've never used this type of lamp.

Back
Top Bottom