Powersun hid 70w or arcadia d3 uvb basking 160w For Calyptratus?

Qwerty

Hi to all it’s time to replace light setup for my calyptratus the enclosure is a reptibreeze 24x24x48’
I use for long time the arcadia d3 uvb basking light 160w without problems but i have to change bulbs every six month.
I see the new metal alide zoomed powersun hid and i decided ti try it
But i dont know if i have to take the 35w or 70w i’m scared of burning my chamleon.
Is there someone that use it?
Are good bulbs for chameleons?
Can i use with a timer?
Please reply.
Thx.

Is there a specific reason for wanting to use an all in one lamp?

Typically it's better and offers more flexability to use 1 linear tube for UVB and a standard incandescent bulb for heating.
This is because the optimal UVB output of a UVB lamp is often around 8" - 12" (distance from lightsource to animal) depending on the type of lamp. Having 2 separte lights offers you the possability to set the UVB source at the ideal distance and regulate basking temperature by highering/lowering the basking bulb.

In short, an all in one lamp risks putting your animal outside of the ideal range of UVB output or to close to the heatsource which introduces risk of burns.

It may be best to upgrade UVB to an enclosure wide T5 HO (arcadia 6% or 10% tube) setup and use a normal household bulb for heating as described above. The initial investment will be higher for you but the tubelight should provide sufficient UVB output for atleast a year and household bulbs are cheaper than branded reptile bulbs aswell so you should earn back your investment over-time.
Your animal will also enjoy the extra light it provides.

Is there a specific reason for wanting to use an all in one lamp?

Typically it's better and offers more flexability to use 1 linear tube for UVB and a standard incandescent bulb for heating.
This is because the optimal UVB output of a UVB lamp is often around 8" - 12" (distance from lightsource to animal) depending on the type of lamp. Having 2 separte lights offers you the possability to set the UVB source at the ideal distance and regulate basking temperature by highering/lowering the basking bulb.

In short, an all in one lamp risks putting your animal outside of the ideal range of UVB output or to close to the heatsource which introduces risk of burns.

It may be best to upgrade UVB to an enclosure wide T5 HO (arcadia 6% or 10% tube) setup and use a normal household bulb for heating as described above. The initial investment will be higher for you but the tubelight should provide sufficient UVB output for atleast a year and household bulbs are cheaper than branded reptile bulbs aswell so you should earn back your investment over-time.
Your animal will also enjoy the extra light it provides.
Thanks for reply i stil have zoomed led uvb canopy with a linear arcadia Uvb 6% tube
then in addiction i use the allinone bulb for provide heat and uvb for basking spot.
It’s still six years that i use this setup my chams loves it and never had burning problems.

Last edited:
Look around at some of @CharlesYamaguchi 's posts (I believe it was one of the fb grps). He talks about which one and which brand he uses. I've not used them myself so won't speak to their performance or concerns but he is one I know has talked about using hid lighting.

Back
Top Bottom