Power Outtage Nightmare!!!

smpliprfct

I've been fairly busy so this happened two weekends ago but there was a damaging wind storm in New Hampshire where I live that knocked over many trees and powerlines leaving most of the state without power. The night of the storm a 70ft. tall pine tree crashed into my yard almost destroying my house (missed by feet) and blocking my driveway! I was one of the fortunate ones - many had major property damage or worse...
My immediate worries were with the reptiles I live with, my bearded dragon Abraxas, BB Panther Kilgore, Jeffrey the Jackson and the newest and yet unnamed BB female baby that I had JUST received the week before. Check here for photos i just posted. Thankfully I had all night to plan on the course of action to take next morning. I awoke to a house that was powerless and loosing heat fast. Luckily some hotels in town still had power and I was able to get a room and a kind neighbor cut out the section of GIANT tree trunk blocking my driveway. After a quick stop at the store for hand warmers I was able to pack everyone up. This was the worse part NOBODY was happy - I put the chams in tupperware with lots of paper towel and the beardie in a shoe box (I knew she could handle it) for the ride. It is not fun draggin up flights of stairs cham cages and lights and food and having to set it all up in a hotel room but it got done! And this is were I stayed all Friday and Most of Saturday when power finally came back and i had to do it all again bringing them home.
So to everyone who keeps reptiles in New England or anywhere with Non-Chameleon-Friendly weather - I salute you and remember - always plan ahead for these types of emergencies!! I should own a generator...

You make a great point. Its Best to plan ahead and Be Prepared. Especially considering the CRAZY weather systems that have been seen all over the US.

A few years ago, I purchased a generator to run my cham room with a little power left over for the fridge. Priorities Right...lol.:)

Yeah i dont live in the cold. But we get hurricanes. I was powerless for 18 days last year after Ike hit us. No chams at that time but i had two english bullies. Lucklily i have a pool to keep them cool. but it was still hell. i feel your pain and good thinking.

Emergencies can happen everywhere so it's good to be reminded that planning ahead is important. I must say you really kept your head together when this happened. Kudos.

That stinks. I also live in NH My basment flooded where my cham and Feeders and other stuuf are. I was up till 6 am using the wetvac and mops. Not fun. I heard NH is going to get alot of rain this week fun stuff.

I absolutely feel for you!!! I live in Maine and during that last storm I only lost power for about 6 hours at night and it came back on in the morning. But, I was watching the temps and it got down to about 58 degrees in my home. I was thinking I would have to abandon ship with all my reptiles if the heat didn't come on soon!!! And I can honestly say, that if I had to it wouldn't be the first time I would have brought reptiles into my bed to keep them warm..LOL! Thank God the heat came on when it did. I have friends that lost power for almost a week in some places in Maine. Every year, living in New England, I go through the fear of loosing power...no fun!! I was lucky this time around. Hopefully we're done with the big storms and spring is on it's way :):):):)

Back
Top Bottom