Power Bill Increases

AllitaMay

So I've searched far and wide on the web to no avail.

To begin, my fiance and I and our to scale babies, Charmander (juvenile veiled chameleon) and Hannibal (Bearded Dragon) are moving back to Ontario.

We are renters for now, and our main concern is if we are unable to find a place that is all inclusive, what is out power bill going to look like with UVB, heating pads and heating coils?

I know noone can give me a totally accurate answer what with different rates all over the world.

But just need an idea so I can calm the wife down.

Our last place pre-reptiles and pre-all-inclusive with all basics like fridge stove lights 46" tele, computers and game consoles we paid around 35-40$

So what did your average bill look like prior to owning reptiles and what did it look like after?:confused:

well there are two ways to get a rough estimate....I am giving you the easiest directions, not the best mathematical method to keep it as simple as I can

This only helps to compare your current bulb usage to your current power bill.....you can prob check the ontario power website or call them to find the costs per KWh tier or average KWh costs to compare to your current rates.

1) Find the WATTAGE of each piece of equipment/bulb.

2) Multiply by # of hours on per day (do this for each item separately)

3) Multiply by 30 days per month.

4) Add them all up. This number represents the number of Watthours (Wh) you use in a month for your light fixtures.

5*) If your bill is in KILOWATT HOURS (KWh) then DIVIDE the answer #4 by 1000. I believe most bills should be in KWh

METHOD 1: "Realistic Method"

Start with the HIGHEST priced tier of your power, and multiply by the number in #5 and you get your rough realistic price.

METHOD 2: "Convince the wife method"

Take your total bill. Divide by the number of watts used throughout the house (total shown on bill). This number gives you the "Average cost per KWh".

Multiply the avg KWh by #5. This will be lower than method 1 ;)

EDIT: *MY* personal power bill (I live in a 1 bedroom apt) was ~$40/month before my reptiles and is now $120/month. HOWEVER, I have a 400W MH greenhouse, 7 tanks, a free-range, 2 terrariums, and various heat tapes for feeders......

Last edited:
I use low wattage bulbs for all my reptiles including the chams. I have a cham, 2 snakes, a bearded dragon and a water dragon and I think roughly I pay about £60-£70 which isn't that bad, I find TV's, freezers tend to use more electricity than my reptiles do lol

Thanks at EvilLost, I'll do that when i find my packaging.

And were just getting a small 2 bedroom apartment heat and everything else is included as the ads say.

But that gives me hope that things wont be too crazy as far as hydro goes.

So here is what i got per month of our current equipment.

Nothing at all to lost our minds on power bills.

All based on standard rate of 10.8 Cents/ kw/h

lights(Chameleon)
52 x 14 = 728 daily watts (.728 kw) = 21.84 kw/mos = $2.36
75 x 10 = 750 daily watts (.75 kw) = 22.5 kw/mos = $2.43(off peak $ .062, monthly 1.40)

cord(Bearded Dragon)
25 x 24 = 600 daily watts (.6 kw) = 18 kw/mos = $1.94
52 x 14 = 728 daily watts (.728 kw) = 21.84 kw/mos = $2.36

Back
Top Bottom